Against the grain

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
brothers

Against the grain

Post by brothers »

Why not start with this instead of ending? Is there some evidence that makes it mandatory to start with the grain? --- :D Of course it goes without saying that one can easily find out for himself instead of asking first. That's what I'm going to do.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Against the grain

Post by CMur12 »

Good thought, Gary.

I shave my neck only, and whiskers grow in different directions there, so it is hard to say that any given pass is exclusively with the grain (WTG), across the grain (XTG), or against the grain (ATG). I used to start by shaving my neck from top to bottom, which was largely WTG. Then, with the same question in my mind as in yours, I decided to eliminate this pass and go straight to the bottom-to-top pass, which is largely against the grain. I experienced no adverse effects from doing so and I have continued to do it in this manner since then.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, that's encouraging. I've tried to recall how I used to do it before. Now all I've got to do is remember this tomorrow morning.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've often wondered the same thing, but every time I shave I just fall into the same routine.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I too have been experimenting with angles, but have not tried ATG first off. Gary, please be sure to post an update on this. I'm looking forward to it.
brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning I wanted to reset all of my previous assumptions, so I went 100% south to north. Only made one down-up pass. What I learned was that the grain on my neck and jaw is all right to left, not south to north. Maybe tomorrow's single atg pass result will be a bit better. Still not quite sure about the grain on my chin and lower lip.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning I learned that the jaw/neck area should be shaved from northeast to southwest for a true and effective single direction pass against the grain. (45 degree angle from the upper right down to the lower left.) Went straight up on the upper lip and the from the bottom of the chin up to the lower lip.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

isnt the whole wtg move one to avoid ingrown hair?
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Maybe for some, but not in my case. There was a time I got ingrown whiskers when I used the Trac II. Haven't had one in a long time. If it's true, then it could explain how it found itself one of those things that everybody thinks they are supposed to keep doing it long after they forgot why they did it in the first place.
Gary

Gene

Post by Gene »

I sometimes do an against the grain only myself.

If I don't shave for a couple of days (say over a weekend) then the Monday shave will be especially close. On Tuesday the growth is still pretty minimal, and I can get away with a quick against the grain only.

I wouldn't try it with two or three days beard growth, though.

At least I think I wouldn't.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

So far the most noticeable/unanticipated result of going ATG exclusively is that my upper lip has never felt so smooth following a shave. In the past, even my so-called ATG (3rd pass) was not a true atg on the upper lip because I was brainwashed that it would be too harsh or too irritating to go atg in that area. Why did I believe that? Going atg in any walk of life is the result of running away from unfounded fear of imaginary consequences. :roll:
Gary

slackskin

Post by slackskin »

brothers wrote:Going atg in any walk of life is the result of running away from unfounded fear of imaginary consequences.
Hear, hear. A lesson in life.
brothers

Post by brothers »

About a week and a half into the ATG single pass routine, and I'm beginning to get it dialed in. The blade changed during that time, and it's interesting to find out how different blades behave with the new procedures. It's quite simple yet effective when I pay attention.
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My regular shave is three passes and a polish. On my cheeks I go N to S. On my neck I go S to N. Then I reverse the directions and go against the grain. Then I go tight to left against the grain. Then I use my fingertips and feel the direction of what is left. Cheeks slant from SR to NL. Neck slants many ways: shave NR to SL; then SR to NL. Then once more atg on cheeks and neck. Then feel where stubble remains and keep going in all directions till all is smooth. This is my normal shave unless I'm pressed for time. Some razors make it easier because I don't have to worry about nicks. My neck skin is very loose and the Schick Hydro glodes over the surface right to left without a worry Next best is the Gillette Fusion and third is the Gillette Guard. No blade razors are as easy. This is an 86 year old's problem.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

To Ouch - I hear you. Although I am your junior at the tender age of 71, I find that things are complicated by flappy skin owing to age and obesity. My granddaughter says I have a Waddle (as in turkey neck) that nobody else has -- at least in our family. When combined with puffy and sagging cheeks, BBS becomes more a theory than a reality. DFS will do it for me.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ATG exclusively is that my upper lip
I would never have thought of trying that....the fear of cutting my nose makes me extremely hesitant to even try. I tip of the hat to your good ideas and 'bravery' gary :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I grew a mustache to solve that. Gary, try a Gillette Guard when you are doing the all ATG shave, if you have one and let us know what you think.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm seeing incredible results from the Rocket HD500 DE. I probably should give it a go with the Guard and also the Noxzema/Kai disposable for the research purposes. :) Thanks for the suggestion. I don't want to leave any stone unturned in my quest for shaving enjoyment.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Looks like the decision to go with only one single lathering and shaving pass Against The Grain has been a revolutionary success in my little corner of the shaving world. The efficiency, ease and simplicity are amazing as well as habit-forming. I've upgraded my equipment to include a new razor head (Prismatic), razor handle (BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe), and brush (Thater). The Mike's Lime has a couple of weeks to go before it gets all used up and is replaced by Penhaligon's Sartorial soap. Fortunately, the new razor seems quite well qualified to provide an outstanding close and smooth shave Against The Grain shave when used properly.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Three months ago was when my first ATG one pass technique experience took place. Happily it's been a huge success; one I intend to continue. The Gillette Rocket HD500 DE and the General SE from Colonial razor with Feather or Kai AC blades seem perfect for going exclusively ATG.
Gary