Angular Shaving

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
slackskin

Angular Shaving

Post by slackskin »

I may have stumbled upon something -- shaving in an X pattern.

Having tried various passes. and getting OK-but-mediocre shaves, I read a post by Brothers/Gary in which he proposed going against the grain on the first pass. That got me thinking and challenging prior assumptions. Since north, south, east and west produced mediocre results, how about tryin an X shape pattern? Northwest to southeast, then northeast to southwest. I tried it and got a better shave. Perhaps this indicates that my beard growth grain is different than I thought. Let's see how that works over time.
CMur12

Re: Angular Shaving

Post by CMur12 »

I've known a number of members here to do two across-the-grain (XTG) passes on opposing diagonals, often to avoid going against the grain (ATG).

(I'm spelling it out for lurkers who might not know our acronyms.)

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I do a single pass wtg, xtg, then atg. Works for me. ymmv
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:I do a single pass wtg, xtg, then atg. Works for me. ymmv
Works for me too.
Bryan
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

If I did a straight north-to-south pass, it would end up being WTG - XTG - WTG - ATG.
So, I do one complete pass all WTG (changing directions as required), then one complete pass ATG, then a third touch-up half pass of XTG and ATG.

Don't forget the "Gillette Slide" (or "Gillette Glide", or whatever), as in Fig. 2:

I do this sometimes, but cautiously.
It sorta' simulates the effect of a slant razor head, but I gather there is a difference in results.
J-strokes are fun too.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

As a late follow-up, I offer this short demo video I found, featuring the "Gillette Slide", "J-Hook" (aka "J-Stroke") and "Blade Buffing".

I usually start out with the Gillette Slide on the first pass, and only on my cheeks. I don't see the need to wait until 2nd or 3rd passes.
J-Hooking works best under my jaw, at the sides, partly because my beard keeps changing grain direction around there.
Blade Buffing works better (for me) with an open-comb razor because it seems to do a better job of dragging lather back over the spot I just did.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex