A DE shave story

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
bflotom2

A DE shave story

Post by bflotom2 »

I thought I would share my recent story of DE shaving. I call it DE shaving rather than wet shave because I have nearly always wet shaved but as my placeholder indicates I’ve been DE shaving since 2006.
Back in 2014 I purchased a Jagger DE 89 to add to my two Gillette’s. When I received the Jagger I was under-whelmed with it. Don’t get me wrong it is a beautiful razor to look at, the finest plating I’ve seen in a long time. (This from someone who sold to platers during my career) But I was never able to get a close shave without a substantial loss of my face. I tried various blades and cream combos. At one point I actually considered selling the razor.
I’ve retired recently and decided to really become a full time DE shaver. With more time now I could shave outside of the shower and consistently take the time to work up quality lather each day-you all know really do it right. I pulled out the Jagger not one of the Gillette’s determined to make it work. I reviewed Mantic’s videos, purchased Michael Ham’s Leisureguy’s guide to gourmet shaving, and read a lot of blogs.
I initially slipped in a Derby. At the time one of the two blades I had in stock. I used Crabtree Sandalwood cream. I got an OK shave with little blood but not really without pain. After 4 days I switched to the only other blades I had, Astra Superior platinum’s. I just finished my tenth shave. Todays shave was not the best the blade was finally showing its usage after 10days. During that 10 days I used the Sandalwood cream, Nancy boy, and goop from a can. (Busy morning no time to lather). But every shave was nearly BBS. I did two passes only-1 WTG and 1 ATG.
The Jagger is a champ-consistent, smooth shaves better then what I’ve experienced with either the Gillette Slim or Super Shaver (’49). Finally a razor I can enjoy shaving with daily.
Regards,
Tom
brothers

Re: A DE shave story

Post by brothers »

Tom, glad to hear you're getting some good shaves out of the Jagger.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Tom -

Good to hear that you and the Jagger are finally getting along!

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

admire your skillz.....without knurling on the handle, i could never hold onto that,

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum