Fast Shaves With Brushless Cream and a Disposable

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Ouchmychin

Fast Shaves With Brushless Cream and a Disposable

Post by Ouchmychin »

Gary's thread (Against The Grain) inspired me to try a new fast way to shave. I used a brushless cream (no time spent building lather) and a Gillette Guard (fast shaves in any direction with no nicks or scrapes). I wet my face, smeared on a one inch length of Alba Botanicals brushless, and I shaved and felt going atg in all directions, stopping only to rinse my razor occasionally. Got finished up and wiped my face with a wet washcloth; rinsed the washcloth; wiped again; rinsed again; wiped again and dried my face with a towel. All took a fraction of the time of a lather shave with no brush to clean up and no re-lathering between passes. Got a decent shave and was out of there.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Re: Fast Shaves With Brushless Cream and a Disposable

Post by brothers »

Pete, your Guard seems to be a good one for you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Pete and Gary -

I had a really good experience with Oliveology Shave Gel. It's more of a liquid than a gel, but it allows a very close shave while providing better glide and protection than I get with my best lather. Because of the outstanding protection I was able to shave faster.

Unfortunately, I can't get any more of it, as it's not currently available.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Pete, glad to read that you have found a 'fast system' and to echo Gary. the guard does seem to be good for you :D

Maybe its just my becks induced imagination, but for my shaves, making lather doesnt seem to lengthen the process vs. canned stuff/brushless cream.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Maybe it's my lathering technique. I fill the basin with hot water and soak my brush while I dip a washcloth in and wet my face; then comb my hair. I shake out the excess water and rub the cake for 10-15 seconds; build lather on my face; sit the brush beside the basin and grab a razor; shave one pass and sit the razor beside the sink; grab the brush and lather my face; shave a second pass; and repeat for one more pass and a polish. Then I shake the brush under the hot water and pull the plug; rinse the brush under the tap and shake out excess water; wipe the lather off my face with the still wet washcloth; rinse the washcloth under the tap and squeeze out excess water; repeat wiping and rinsing 3 more times; wring out the washcloth and clean up the counter around the sink. That takes a lot of time.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

In my case, too, wetting the brush, loading the brush, making lather, and cleaning the brush takes way more time that just wiping a liquid/gel onto my face. And then, the gel is so much more protective that I can shave with careless abandon (as in, more quickly). Beyond that, the gel is skin-friendly, so one doesn't even need to clean it off as one would with lather.

I agree with Gary and Pete, brushless cream (in my case, Oliveology Gel) is way quicker.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the joys and benefits of one pass shaving :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

A couple I tried the same trick with a Gillette Fusion. It pulled and stumbled all the way. I think the brushless had too little water to activate the lubricating strip. Or, I just didn't mix enough water with the brushless.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I like Trader Joe's Honey Mango Brushless Shaving Cream for this purpose with a Bic Normal Disposable
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks Tucker. I think I still have some Bic Sensitives. I like them a lot but I haven't tried them for this yet. I have only tried a couple of brushless creams. I think the other was Kiss My Face but I really don't recall. I was posting about it at the time.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream and a Noxzema Twin (Kai) blade disposable. I find myself looking forward to these cheap and fast shaves whenever we're traveling.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444