chin - problem with grain direction

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: chin - problem with grain direction

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ingrowing hairs are generally caused by shaving too close to the skin, and having the tip of the hair retract just below skin level. If it doesn't exit the follicle correctly it can coil up inside the follicle. It might feel easier to shave with a DE as you don't have to press and the sharp blade will make it feel smoother, but it could lead to more ingrowing hairs in the long run. I'd stretch the skin as well as possible to flatten it, and go sideways across the chin with an almost flat-to-the-skin straight. Take several gentle passes rather than on big scrape. You have very little control over angle of attack with a DE, but you could try to simulate that by lifting the handle away from your face until you can barely hear it cut.
If you're in Canada, you can always send me the razor for honing.and we won't be paying any duty. I make no claims to honing greatness, but I can generally make a razor shave.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
plutek

Post by plutek »

thanks a lot, chris... see PM.

cheers!
.pltk.
plutek

Post by plutek »

alrighty... t's been a while, but i thought i'd report back! :)

chris generously helped me out with some nice honing. that has allowed me to improve my straight razor technique considerably... lighter strokes with the razor, a much shallower angle (especially in the troublesome area), and more diagonal movement on the stroke. that's been the biggest difference.

but i've also switched to some nice tallow soap - finally being able to build a nice silky lather which cushions and glides well, and doesn't dry out. the tendency, in the past, for my lather to be getting dry by shave's end has been a problem. ...and perhaps my prep is a bit better, but i think that's the least-changed aspect of the process. oh, and cold water all along the way seems best for me -- in the lather, and in the blade rinses.

i guess my mentality has also changed: objective #1 is to keep it all comfortable, low-stress, and non-irritating. if i also happen to get some hair off my face, well then all the better! :D ...as it turns out, by-the-by, the shaves have actually been better, quicker, and more fun. win-win!

the result is that i've now got a couple of weeks of shaves under my belt (or rather: under my nose!), with none of the sort of irritation and ingrown-hair problems that i originally posted about! very happy and very thankful for all the advice and help i've had along the way!

cheers, guys... enjoy your summer!
.pltk.
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

This has been an informative thread to follow - thanks for posting!

Bill
Bill
plutek

Post by plutek »

hey, Bill_K... glad it's useful for somebody! 8)
plutek

Post by plutek »

one more update, although now we're veering away from the topic, and into more general product comments:

i recently received an order of new shaving oil and soap -- Barber & Co shave oil, since i'm running out of my AoS oil (and really don't like it much anyways), and Henri et Victoria Artisan Shaving Soap (since i'm on an all-Canadian kick and was curious to try their highly-praised soap). the particular Henri et Victoria soap i got (chestnut l'orange) is a coconut oil and glycerin soap, not a tallow soap - although they do make some tallow soaps as well, which i'll try sometime...

today was the first shave with these, and it was shockingly better than with the AoS oil and the Woods of Windsor tallow soap i've been using. at least with my particular methods/skin/beard, this soap makes the shave waaaaaay easier -- less effort, less pressure, closer shave, less irritation -- it just all works with ease!

yeah, i know... bad science 'cuz i changed more than one variable. [-X ...oh well. deal with it.

cheers!
.pltk.
brothers

Post by brothers »

pltk, that has been my experience also. I have had some of my best shaves with a glycerin soap. I keep telling myself I should get another tub of it, but I've got too many others that need to be used up first.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
plutek

Post by plutek »

thanks, gary... interesting! yeah, from what i've read, there are some folks who seem to be just made for glycerin soap! =D>
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Hi pltk,

Since you're on an all-Canadian glycerine soap kick, have you tried Midnight and Two?[1] I'm working on a tub of 'Coast' and I'm really enjoying it. I bought it partly because the M&T owner said it works well with hard water; it was developed in Calgary. I'm happy to report that it does live up to his assurances.

You might also like to consider Like Grandpa[2]. Even though it doesn't contain glycerine, it's plant-based and is manufactured in Edmonton. I had a great shave with it this morning, as a matter of fact.

By the way, I'm making mental notes on this thread, as I'm lurking on Kijiji for decent deal on my first straight razor. Thanks again for posting.

Bill
(living halfway between Calgary and Edmonton)

[1] https://www.midnightandtwo.com/
[2] https://likegrandpa.com/products/shave-soap
Bill
plutek

Post by plutek »

thanks for the tips, bill... i'll check those out!

later: had a good chat with ken at Like Grandpa, and ordered some soap and balm. i tend to buy from Fendrihan, which doesn't carry Like Grandpa. so i'm really thankful that you hipped me to these folks!