The Boxes of Shame - where does this stuff come from?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
brothers

The Boxes of Shame - where does this stuff come from?

Post by brothers »

As I dig through the boxes, here's one theory that has started to pick up steam. Thought I'd pass this along for what it's worth:
adult beverages. A couple of days ago I almost bought something new and shiny from one of the popular vendors' web stores. I stopped and demanded from myself a reason I was going to spend about 30 bucks on something I would never use. The answer was obvious. :roll: Adult beverages and web browsing don't mix. I'll quit browsing the web.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Re: The Boxes of Shame - where does this stuff come from?

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, that made me laugh out loud! Yes, I've done it but at the time I reasoned to my wife the next day that it was on sale and I've always wanted it and it WILL see good use. The Mrs. was not pleased.

It was a Swaine, Adeny, and Brigg umbrella on sale for 50% off on the J. Peterman website. I had a cocktail or two in me that night and I pulled the trigger. Apparently a lot of folks did as well as I got a follow-up email from them a week or so later asking me if I wanted to cancel my order since they were out of the product and didn't know when they'd have it back in stock. I declined to cancel and opted to wait until they got them back in stock. Well a few days later one was delivered. The current price at the time of delivery was full retail.

Don't you know who uses it most? My wife. Of all the other umbrella's we have she grabs that one when she needs one.

It's well made and will last a lifetime. I like that.

I've been through this sort of buying gambit before (though sober) buying TI blades from a well-known vendor in Maryland. In those days they'd take your order even though they were out of stock then send you the same sort of cancel offer email. When I declined and opted to wait I received the blade a few days later. I conjectured they were just trying to beat the rise in currency trade (as prices went much higher right after). They must have taken a beating but I thought it served them right for not being forthright about their availability.

I've not really bought anything else under the influence so I'll chalk this up to a win.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good story Chris. :) When it happens to me, I remind myself it could be worse under different circumstances.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, even though it hasn't happened again, I've definitely been mighty tempted at times when I've imbibed the spirits.

One of these days my luck is going to run out. :shock:

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary and Chris, during my early years here I spent a LOT of money on this stuff, and I had no such excuse! :oops:

- Murray
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Stone cold sober I once placed a bid on a 1970 GMC 3/4 ton pickup in Connecticut. I already had a pickup truck. I had stayed up too late, and immediately regretted my $3200 bid. I sweated out the end of the auction. I won. This was about 15 years ago. Cost me another $700 to have it shipped to me. Very stupid. Can't blame it on anything or anybody but myself. It wasn't too expensive, and there wasn't much wrong with it. I just didn't need it for any reason. Sold it at a loss a couple of years later to a nice young man in Dallas.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Cost me another $700 to have it shipped to me.
how many days of silence did you get from the wiffeee?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
de gustibus non est disputandum