Face lathering and brush loading (soap)

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
slackskin

Re: Face lathering and brush loading (soap)

Post by slackskin »

Gary - Do you still load the completely dry brush as outlined previously in this thread?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, dry brush, loading on the soap that's been splashed with running tap water, then building the lather on the face. Here's a picture of what this brush looks like right now, a few hours after this morning's shave.
Semogue 2000 boar brush 12Feb2020.jpg
Semogue 2000 boar brush 12Feb2020.jpg (1009.12 KiB) Viewed 9248 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

This morning I did as Gary recommended -- dry brush on soaked puck. Used a Fine Clsssic synthetic brush and Cyril Salter hard puck (similar to DRHarris). Worked well, probably would have been better if puck soaked longer. Will try again tomorrow
brothers

Post by brothers »

Various brushes respond differently depending on the amount of water that sits on the soap. When I switch to a different brush I occasionally get a bit too much or a bit too little water in the first few loadings before I get dialed in. In my case I'm guessing it's about 1 1/2 tablespoons to start with most of the time. Other guys may need more or less water to get the results that work best for them.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I use a well shaken badger brush and preload it with soap from bowl. Not too much soap in there like a whole puck and pretty much build some thick consistency lather there. Because only a relative small amount of soap.

Then I go to face and start making lather there. Dip maybe twice the brush hairs to sink in the process slighly. After the lather is finished on my brush I can go all needed passes without reloading. Maybe not with boar brush.

I don't rinse my face between the passes. Feeling it gets too much water remaining there that is upsetting the lather. I've always wondered this that some shavers rinse their face. I might still dip in the sink the brush slightly, thats all.
Jarmo