What's The Origin of the Face Shaving Map?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
MensSoapCo

What's The Origin of the Face Shaving Map?

Post by MensSoapCo »

I wrote an article, Beginners Guide to Wet Shaving, and used a shaving map graphic shared on Reddit. Though many websites and articles use same or modified version of it, I want to add credit to the rightful owner.

Do any of you know? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Omar
The irritation-free shaving soaps!
Shop Men's Soap Company - MensSoap.com
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: What's The Origin of the Face Shaving Map?

Post by drmoss_ca »

I believe that same map was used by Charles Roberts, the inventor of Method Shaving. I don't know if he borrowed it (as he did with most of his 'inventions') or whether he actually came up with it himself.
Method Shaving was like the Scientology of shaving - you'd go into his shop Enchantè (nb the incorrect grave accent instead of the acute is how he spelt it) in Austin, take a personality test - no, a shaving consultation and then find yourself enmeshed in a cult that stripped your assets as fast as it could. We lost a few good members that way.
The method itself varied over the years, but in classic form involved using pure olive oil soap for the first pass, then a decent cream for the second. It evolved into an elaborate ritual utilising many expensive items and products (most of which could be bought much cheaper under their original brand names) instead of his 'Hydrolast' brand. They included a best badger brush (marked up to around $175, IIRC), and then, more outrageously, the use of a brush was declared heretical, and one had to buy his 'Shaving Rag'™ to remain in good standing in the congregation. The actual shaving technique was described in purple prose ('shaving terrain', the 'glacis' - sans cedilla) and conducted in a bizarre way. Recklessly fast short repeated strokes made it look like he was sanding his face rather than shaving 'evenly and with care, in silence, seriously' as James Joyce described it. It was blade-buffing on benzedrine.
You don't hear of it any more now Charles has passed on.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
MensSoapCo

Post by MensSoapCo »

He passed away in December 2015. Some reason I thought it would be long ago.

Just watched one of videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3DlZewauFY and it sure does look strange, definitely would scare the crap out of beginners trying to get into wet shaving. I can't imagine the buffing method is good for sensitive skin. Is this method popular?
drmoss_ca wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:31 am I believe that same map was used by Charles Roberts, the inventor of Method Shaving. I don't know if he borrowed it (as he did with most of his 'inventions') or whether he actually came up with it himself.
Method Shaving was like the Scientology of shaving - you'd go into his shop Enchantè (nb the incorrect grave accent instead of the acute is how he spelt it) in Austin, take a personality test - no, a shaving consultation and then find yourself enmeshed in a cult that stripped your assets as fast as it could. We lost a few good members that way.
The method itself varied over the years, but in classic form involved using pure olive oil soap for the first pass, then a decent cream for the second. It evolved into an elaborate ritual utilising many expensive items and products (most of which could be bought much cheaper under their original brand names) instead of his 'Hydrolast' brand. They included a best badger brush (marked up to around $175, IIRC), and then, more outrageously, the use of a brush was declared heretical, and one had to buy his 'Shaving Rag'™ to remain in good standing in the congregation. The actual shaving technique was described in purple prose ('shaving terrain', the 'glacis' - sans cedilla) and conducted in a bizarre way. Recklessly fast short repeated strokes made it look like he was sanding his face rather than shaving 'evenly and with care, in silence, seriously' as James Joyce described it. It was blade-buffing on benzedrine.
You don't hear of it any more now Charles has passed on.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I forgot just how screwey that method was until I watched that video yet again. Let me be more specific, tried to watch the video again. I have never been able to get through it due to his "cult terminology". For me it's a turn off each and every time.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
MensSoapCo

Post by MensSoapCo »

I concur! SMH #-o
ShadowsDad wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:40 am I forgot just how screwey that method was until I watched that video yet again. Let me be more specific, tried to watch the video again. I have never been able to get through it due to his "cult terminology". For me it's a turn off each and every time.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

It resembles this one...
...from the Standardized Barbers' Manual (1911).
But is not quite the same.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is what I would imagine would be the operator's manual for a 787.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Mapping my face and really knowing the grain (and shaving accordingly!) is, IME, the largest factor is achieving close, irritation-free shaves. More important than soaps, creams, balms, lotions, brushes, etc.. Obviously, YMMV, as things like allergies or other individual conditions factor in.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

John Rose wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:32 pm It resembles this one...
...from the Standardized Barbers' Manual (1911).
But is not quite the same.
Interesting manual! I have a more modern copy from the 1940's I believe.

I didn't get passed the face map pages but I did notice the section on strops and was surprised that it said horsehide strops are not recommended for barbers and that they are more for home use.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

EL Alamein wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:55 pm...
I didn't get passed the face map pages but I did notice the section on strops and was surprised that it said horsehide strops are not recommended for barbers and that they are more for home use.
In the margin next to that it says "A strop can poison your razor, therefore should be sterilized by treating with carbolized vaseline."
I wonder if that's not also related to the whole post-WWI Anthrax From Shaving Brushes thing back then.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tinman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:28 am Mapping my face and really knowing the grain (and shaving accordingly!) is, IME, the largest factor in achieving close, irritation-free shaves. More important than soaps, creams, balms, lotions, brushes, etc.. Obviously, YMMV, as things like allergies or other individual conditions factor in.
Tinman, I agree with you 100%.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

beg to differ. for example, using a merkur blade isnt going to make shaving comfortable and irritation free just because you know the 'map' Talking about maps is just a low energy way to avoid the hardship of choice: blade choice, razor choice, cream/soap choice etc etc etc etc etc

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

fallingwickets wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:46 am beg to differ. for example, using a merkur blade isnt going to make shaving comfortable and irritation free just because you know the 'map' Talking about maps is just a low energy way to avoid the hardship of choice: blade choice, razor choice, cream/soap choice etc etc etc etc etc

clive
Not to mention technique!

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

49 thumbs up on the technique addition...thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

The gent referred to the largest factor, not withstanding the others that have been mentioned. If he had represented it as being the only factor there might have been some discussion as to the comparative degree of importance of factors
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, I think we agree with Tinman that mapping is a factor. Clive and I have different opinions on its relative importance to other factors.

I intend no disrespect to Tinman or his opinions, as they obviously reflect what he has found to work for him.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thumbs up emoji.jpg
Thumbs up emoji.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 7839 times
Gary