Teach your children well

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
LatinShave

Teach your children well

Post by LatinShave »

As a parent of a 15 year old boy who's starting to get a line of peach fuzz across the top of his lip, I feel it my duty to introduce him to the proper way to take care of his facial hair. I want to do this in a way that makes him feel good about himself, and doesn't seem unduly awkward or embarrassing. He's not going to need to shave more than once a week at this point, but I want it to be something he does confidently and looks forward to rather than avoids.

My first idea would be to get him some kit (ideally go shopping with him and try out different scents and explain soap vs. cream, etc) and teach him step by step. I'm not sure if I should give him a DE razor to start with, or a Gillette style safety (3-4-5 blade cartridge), although I think teaching him how to properly lather soap and apply it is where we'll start. I already have a few extra brushes, as well as a Merkur 34C I could give him.

My own routine has ended up with many shortcuts, f.x. I don't use a bowl or my hand to lather, but do it straight on my neck after applying a daub of cream to the brush. I used to use Proraso soap mainly as well as Geo. F. Trumper cream on occasion, but now use mostly Musgo Real. Same with after shave, Geo. F. Trumper was it (with the occasional Proraso) until I discovered Muhle, so now I have 3 to choose from :D .

I wanted to ask other parents how they taught their sons (or were taught yourself by your own father) to get some ideas. He's pretty intimidated by the whole thing and would rather stay a child and not have to do stuff like shave, although he after I got him some nice clothes recently, now likes to wear a suit and look more grown up.

Thanks for any suggestions or tips.
CMur12

Re: Teach your children well

Post by CMur12 »

Hi LatinShave -

I would expect a 15-year-old boy with the first signs of peach fuzz to have delicate skin, so I would avoid cartridge razors with 3-4-5 blades and I would let face-lathering wait until later. (I'm not sure how successful face-lathering that little patch over his upper lip would be, anyway.)

I would probably start him out with a razor like a Bic Sensitive single-bladed disposable as the least aggressive, least intimidating tool, and a brushless cream or gel. Oliveology makes a very good, amazingly protective "gel" (more of a liquid) that is very easy to use ( //oliveology.com ). I'm very impressed with this product.

If he shows interest in taking it further, you could introduce lathering and a mild DE razor. The most forgiving DE blade I have found, which I would consider ideal for a beginning shaver with sensitive skin, is the Dorco ST300.

Good luck! I wish my father had taken the interest to teach me when the time came. As it was, I was simply handed a razor and canned foam (by my mother, at that!) and told to shave off the hair over my lip! (That was over 50 years ago.)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Reflecting back, it seems our experience (my dad and my son) have been a decision made by the boy, not a directive from on high. When I decided to start shaving I just used what my dad used. Same for my son, when he reached his decision to start shaving he just looked at what I was using.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
LatinShave

Post by LatinShave »

Thanks for the great replies.

Yes, I don't want to push him into anything, but do want to let him know that he has a shadow across his upper lip that reveals he's not a 10 year old anymore, as much as he'd like to think so. He likes to look good and is just starting to show an interest in girls, I don't want him to be that kid with a face full of peach fuzz obviously trying too hard and needing to take care of himself.

The Oliveology suggestion is excellent, and gives me an excuse to try it out myself, lol! Great observation that his skin at that age is still very sensitive and needs a gentle approach.

I wanted to bring it up with him because he'd otherwise try and pretend it wasn't there, what he wants to do about it (if anything) is up to him.

Thanks again, great forum here and good ideas all around!