Future wet shaver?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Thunderbolt_A10

Future wet shaver?

Post by Thunderbolt_A10 »

Hello guys,

I'm Thunderbolt, from Russia, and I've joined this forum because I've been alterning between quick shaves with Bic razors and having a beard for the last decade, but I recently had the experience to go to a barber shop. Since I enjoyed the feelings and result but did not enjoy having other people swing big razors around my neck, I figured I should learn how to do it myself... and here I am!

I'm an absolute newbie in this field, and all I know so far is "cream goes on face, blade goes on beard, repeat until no beard".

Thanks in advance for dealing with noob questions, see you on the forums!
ShadowsDad

Re: Future wet shaver?

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum! There is so much you need to learn, but rather than typing everything out I'm going to point you in the direction of the threads that have already been written above and below in this forum section. Take some time and open them up and read. If you have questions that's our best role. We'll be happy to get back to you if something isn't clear.

But for now, I have a question for you. Do you know what shaver you plan to use? There are double edge, single edge (both are safety razors), straight razors, and of course cartridges. They all have their good and bad points and many of us have our favorites.

One good thing in your favor is that I'm fairly certain that you will find the things you need locally, or at least that's what I've been led to believe. Many of us have almost no local source for blade shaving and most everything is mail order for us.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Thunderbolt_A10

Post by Thunderbolt_A10 »

Well, I'm fairly sure that local barber shops order their stuff online, too... And they wouldn't sell me some kit, as they'd be shooting themselves in the foot :mrgreen:
I think I'll give double edged razors a try first, because I tend to get, well, nervous around straight razors :oops: I'd be too afraid to cough or sneeze while I'm shaving to use one.
Apart from that, right now, my plan is to read the forum and spam Google with razor related searches, until I have got a clearer idea of what is what, how things work and what are the pluses and minuses of the options I have.
brothers

Post by brothers »

That'll work! Welcome to SMF! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, Thunderbolt!

Very good English, by the way.

You will find some useful links to shaving resources at the top of the ShaveMyFace University.

Video tutorials can show you things that are hard to explain with words alone. Then, as Brian said, we are here to answer your questions.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thunderbolt, how's the new shaving adventure coming along? I am hoping you have been able to get started without too much trouble.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444