when is a blade dull?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
FireDragon76

when is a blade dull?

Post by FireDragon76 »

I am a former DE shaver, I've been using other things the past few years. Currently I'm using a Sensor Excel in my rotation. I can't remember how long I used the current cartridge- I've used it at least a dozen times. I use a brush, soap (mostly cheap triple milled stuff) and lather and I don't have trouble getting a close shave. I use a silicone strop/blade saver after every shave (Razorpit).

The last shave I did, though... I was lathering up a bit with a new synthetic brush and I lathered and relathered a few times just to test it out, and got a bit of burn from the bristles. So I had to take a day off shaving to let my face heal up (I'm going to have to invest in a good balm- alcohol aftershave does nothing for a face to heal). So... is my blade just too dull, or was it the brush?
ShadowsDad

Re: when is a blade dull?

Post by ShadowsDad »

I can't help you with the latest and greatest (as advertised on TV) razors. But in DE you'll know a blade is dull when it bites and draws blood. In SE they just stop giving an efficient shave, no biting involved. Others will come in to the discussion eventually who can.

Never have I ever heard of a brush and soap giving a burn unless one is allergic to an ingredient in the soap. With a synthetic brush if you're allergic to nylon that could be the culprit; I've never heard of that though and it would be a first for me unless it was a really horrible brush.

That's all I have for your question.

FWIW, if it's burn it leaves in 8-12 hours as the skin heals all on it's own.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
FireDragon76

Post by FireDragon76 »

The soap was Godrej. I've noticed it is extremely drying as far as soaps go. I retired it after that: I've used it in the past years ago with OK results, I guess my skin can't put up with it anymore. I've also used some C&E Almond recently and even that was very dry as compared to shave cream (Arko) that I regularly use. All in all, neither soap was particularly luxurious. I plan to revisit VDH Deluxe, I have an unused puck in my stash.

I think a burn could happen with a brush if it exfoliates too much.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Maybe there are two possibilities - dull blade or irritation from the lather/brush. I don't know about a dull cartridge, but I am familiar with how a burn can result from a pH chemical reaction or a reaction to some unusual scrubbing action between the skin/soap/brush. I would lean toward the latter.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

ShadowsDad wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:19 amBut in DE you'll know a blade is dull when it bites and draws blood.
That's the opposite of my experience.
My blades tend to draw more blood in the first 3, 4, or 5 shaves.
After 15-20 shaves it's very rare.
But it does require more passes or more pressure to do the same job. (Yes, more pressure is a legitimate solution.)
when is a blade dull?
When it starts repeating the same jokes over and over. :whistle:
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

FireDragon76 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:00 am I think a burn could happen with a brush if it exfoliates too much.
If you're using a brush to exfoliate you're misusing it. Shave brushes are for building lather and if they are exfoliating far too much pressure is being applied. It would be much better to go to a brush used for floors or some such to get the effect you seek. Shave brushes, used properly, only use the end 1/3 of the bristles. There is little or no exfoliation that happens with the bristle ends. To go further is known as mashing the brush and will result in premature destruction of the brush. Maybe nylon bushes can tolerate that treatment, I just don't know.

John, try using less pressure. When you think you have too little use even less. The razor should just lightly caress the skin. If it's being pushed inward more than a microscopic amount you're using too much pressure. With even the sharpest of blades you should see no significant blood, maybe a weeper, but they should be rare.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

ShadowsDad wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:30 am John, try using less pressure. When you think you have too little use even less. The razor should just lightly caress the skin. If it's being pushed inward more than a microscopic amount you're using too much pressure. With even the sharpest of blades you should see no significant blood, maybe a weeper, but they should be rare.
I think you misunderstand me.
I'm talking about more pressure during later uses of the blade, and it's not that I always or frequently get weepers with new blades, only that it's more likely.

The blade can make a difference too.
One of the oddest experiences I had with a blade was a QShave Titanium blade that came with the QShave (Futur clone) razor.
The first shave with it was amazing - sharper (and better) than a Feather, but still really smooth. Close and comfortable all over my face and neck.
For the second use it was okay, and average for an Astra SP after 4-5 shaves.
The 3rd shave with it was unbearable. It just felt too draggy and rough and wasn't cutting any more, so I tossed it.
No weepers on any of the three shaves though, and no burn.

The most painful shave I've had was when I experimented with using a bar of Pears transparent glycerin soap as a sort of pre-shave. Because, "glycerine", right?
I just rubbed it on as if I was planning to face-lather with a stick, but brushed on some bowl-lathered soap on top of it. I forget exactly what kind of shaving soap or cream, but it was something I had used often before with no issues. Probably one of the TOBS creams.

Half-way through the first pass it was burning like acid.
Yikes!
I had to hose it off immediately and start over again with regular cream, and only on the areas I had not already shaved.
Skipped the alum and used a post-shave balm instead of my usual alcohol splash.

I'm pretty sure it was something to do with a scent ingredient, because Pears smells really weird, like turpentine or something.
Soaps with a strong lime scent give me a bit of burn too (mid-shave and post-shave), but nothing like the Pears.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

Probably an issue of semantics, but I have come to understand my blades need to be changed when the cutting edge develops microscopic chips and irregularities that result in a pulling sensation and incomplete cutting of whiskers. Cuts and blood in my experience doesn't relate to dullness. To the contrary in my experience, breaching the skin to make it bleed is a result of a high level of sharpness found in the first few shaves with a fresh new blade.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444