glycerine soap lathering

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
FireDragon76

glycerine soap lathering

Post by FireDragon76 »

Got any tips for glycerin soap lathering?

I have some old Surrey Deluxe I tried using and it just wouldn't lather with my Turkish shave brush (I believe it is horse hair, but it could be boar... that is the rumor. It certainly smelled horsey when new). The lather kept dissipating quickly, and the brush would drink it up as well. I've never had this problem with triple milled soap.
slackskin

Re: glycerine soap lathering

Post by slackskin »

Interesting. I have never been able to load a brush properly with glycerine soap in a bowl, but have great results when using a glycerine soap shaving stick or rubbing the puck on my face. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me as to "why" but that has been my experience.
FireDragon76

Post by FireDragon76 »

slackskin wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:08 pm Interesting. I have never been able to load a brush properly with glycerine soap in a bowl, but have great results when using a glycerine soap shaving stick or rubbing the puck on my face. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me as to "why" but that has been my experience.
It's not just you... Years ago I melted down some Col. Conk Amber and put it in a deodorant dispenser and it worked great (for lathering... the soap itself was just OK). I think when you put a shave stick on your face, the whiskers have a tendency to really bite into the soap.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

When I was using other manufacturers soaps I can't say that I noticed a huge difference and I always melted them into tubs for loading. It's been years since using them. Have you tried using less water for loading?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

I can't say I've experienced any difficulty loading glycerin soaps. If I recall correctly, I would start by running some hot tap water on the soap and letting it sit for a few moments before loading a dry brush and adding water in small quantities until the suds began to appear, then continued to building the lather on my face, continuing to add water to the brush until the lather appeared to be the desired consistency.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444