Hi from Scotland

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Ice Tee

Hi from Scotland

Post by Ice Tee »

Hello all,
Just joined after reading some good stuff. My name is Charlie (Ice Tee) from Edinburgh Scotland.
I restarted de shaving five months ago after 20 years absence, using cart and goo, to busy and to lazy, now I am back to REAL shaving as my father tought me 45 years ago. Getting my tecnique back slowly but my foam, with soap not cream is still taking a bit longer to learn, olso so meny blades around, got to find wats good for me. Brushes got sorted with AP shave and got the four razors I love. Rockwell 6s, Gillette bigboy, Gillette black Buauty and EJ 89.

Hope to get some good advice on lathering up and on blades.

Hope all are well

Charlie
slackskin

Re: Hi from Scotland

Post by slackskin »

I'm far from an expert but would like to recommend D. R. Harris soaps, which are one of the few old-school tallow-based hard puck soaps around. Some feel that DRH is hard to lather, which was my experience UNTIL finding a different method. After thoroughly wetting the face with a hot washcloth, rub the puck on the face as if it were a shaving stick. For me, it then lathers up easily. I put a few drops of hot water on the puck while wetting the face, and that softens the puck so the soap comes off the puck more easily. At least that's MY experience. YMMV. Good luck.
Ice Tee

Post by Ice Tee »

Hi Slackskin, thanks for the advice, can get this easy hear in Scotland, a shop in Dundee has it, next time I am around Dundee will give the shop a go.

cheers

Charlie :)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, Charlie!

You might check Youtube videos on lathering, as it's easier to learn if you can watch someone do it and get an idea what kind of lather is possible.

Beyond that, the brush you use will probably determine lathering technique more than the soap will. Badger hair, in all its variety, boar bristle, and synthetic fiber brushes all have different lathering characteristics, so you need to learn how to get the most out of what you have.

There are a lot of good soaps out there, from traditional firms and from artisans. I'm sensitive to fragrances, so I have had to steer clear of most English soaps. My preference has been for Italian and artisan soaps.

Additionally, some shavers want a dense cushiony lather, while others (like me) prefer a wetter, thinner lather that is slicker with less cushion.

Watch some videos and keep experimenting, and you will get there.

Best of luck!

- Murray
Ice Tee

Post by Ice Tee »

Hi CMur12,
Thanks for your advice, watched some videos,some good some crap, I think that I am a bit of a snob with soaps, so far I like Castle Forbes and MDeC.

I have abought 12 brushes, 2 bagreg 1 horse 5 boar and three synth, I like the synth, they seem to me the ones that produce the most lather.

Spending a time just making lather now, more water,less wated,more product,less product, slowly but surely I am getting towords the right lather for me.

Thanks again,

May the force be with you

Charlie. :wink:
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Hi Charles, welcome to the forum.

Many roads to Rome to find what you like. You'll get lots of suggestions to try. Hope you enjoy the ride!

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Charlie, welcome to smf. let us know how your shopping spree in dundee goes :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Ice Tee

Post by Ice Tee »

Hi Ross,

I am up at Dundee newx weekend, hope I have plenty in the bank ha ha ha

Charles :oops:
Ice Tee

Post by Ice Tee »

Hello, ment to say Clive and thanks for the welcome Chris

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Charlie
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Charlie. Thanks for joining us at SMF! Tabac is easy to lather and provides outstanding shaves. Inexpensive too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444