Bent Blades Beware

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Bent Blades Beware

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:10 pm Yesterday I honed 4 old razors - Rugby, Sheaf-Works, Frederick Reynolds, and Dumas Aine 32 Mediacle Yardy (French, I suppose). As far as three of them are concerned, that's the good news. I used the Rugby this morning, and can't wait to experience the others whenever the mood strikes me.

Bad news: All but one - Fredrick Reynolds - were fine according to the loupe. The Reynolds was a dismal failure. I wasted a lot of time bread-knifing, patiently attempting to set a new bevel, but - long story short - then I found that the old blade is quite bent. There's no amount of honing that will fix that. At that point all is lost and this one is going into the recycling bin. I suspect that's why it was sold (to me and to who knows how many other guys before me). I'm putting this one in a place where no one will ever again be cheated paying good money and lots of effort attempting to sharpen the edge for this piece of junk. On the other side of the coin, I did learn a lot in the process.
Bent Blade 19 April 2021.jpg
Bent Blade 19 April 2021.jpg (3.36 MiB) Viewed 219 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Every other day, soaps & creams, synthetic / boar / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Re: Bent Blades Beware

Post by brothers »

There is a possibility I could have saved this old soldier, but it really felt good to put this razor in the vise and whale it dead on with both hands and a small sledge hammer. I've also done this to a kitchen knife that had a crack in the edge about a year ago. One less screwed up blade that folks don't need to worry about. I'd do the same thing if I had it to do over again. Good therapy! :D

There are some experts who can testify that the bend in the spine/blade may be removed by spending a lot of time fooling around with a coarse diamond plate. I have personally rescued one of my own razors in this manner sometime last year. This time I just wasn't in the mood after I had wasted so much time on this particular bent blade. I've got dozens of other razors that aren't bent, and I can and will use them without issue.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Every other day, soaps & creams, synthetic / boar / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444