Starting over with an open blade

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: Starting over with an open blade

Post by TRBeck »

Well, after the last three shaves, I realized the blade probably needed touching up. For most guys, 9-10 shaves might not be enough to rough up the edge of the blade to any degree, but I have not mastered technique, so I'm doubtless doing more damage than I'd need to. Anyway, I pasted a paddle strop with red and black pastes and did 10 laps on each before my usual stropping this morning. The difference was dramatic. The blade felt both keener and smoother, and the shave was excellent. Between improved technique and a retouched blade, everything was clicking. My best straight shave in both closeness and comfort.

This was the first edge work I've ever done beyond stropping, and it made for a very gratifying experience to know that I had a hand in how great the blade felt. I'm now more excited than ever to get to honing.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Congrats.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tim, excellent report on the touch-up. A long ways down the road when you've mastered it all you can keep a blade going forever with a good touch-up routine.

The hones can be used to fix a damaged edge or for experimentation.

Chris
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Chris, thanks. That touch-up for months on end thing sounds great. Superb shave again today, absolutely no nicks or weepers or raw patches. My skin barely noticed the alcohol in the splash. There are slight ups and downs, but progress seems pretty steady. By August 1, this should be no big deal. Loving it.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Glad things are going well for you.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Oscar, thanks, and all is still well. I'm a bit faster about it than I was when I started and have got the chin handled. Pretty consistent with the top lip now, too. The neck and jawline get daily touch up after two full passes, but that's becoming less essential.

Today I realized that the stall out when I tried straights previously had always been when the razor started skipping or getting a bit rough. I didn't have a way to touch it up. The pasted strop work I did last week gave me a boost. Three solid weeks with the straight now and it almost feels natural, and a second trip on paste has been unnecessary. I will probably need it again sometime in the next week, by which time I may be comfortable enough to try a different razor. Or not.
Regards,
Tim

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Strops will work well and lapping film is another nice option to have.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tim, I'm enjoying your narrative. I admire how you keep yourself focused on the mission.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Ditto on what Gary said. How's it coming?

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, yes, so cheap....

If you have read some threads here, you know I now agree that Eddie Cochran was right - there are three steps to heaven. It takes a good bevel setter, and I think all agree the Chosera 1k is as good as that gets. My mid-range pick may not be orthodox, but any razor will shave pretty well right off it, and that's a coticule from theperfectedge.com . Finally, a 2k lapped Spyderco Ultrafine, will make edges that sing like angels. All three can be used under running water with a very simple technique of:
1. 20 back and forth strokes on one side
2. 20 back and forth strokes on the other side
3. 10 back and forth strokes on the first side
4. 10 back and forth strokes on the second side
5. 5 back and forth strokes on the first side
6. 5 back and forth strokes on the second side
7. 4 edge-leading strokes on the first side
8. 4 edge-leading strokes on the second side
9. 3 ditto first
10. 3 ditto second
11. 2 ditto first
12. 2 ditto second
13. 10 straight strokes on alternate sides
14. 10 x-strokes on alternate sides.

I don't see any reason to vary this on the 1k. On the coticule, and the UF, I will modify the progression according to what I feel and hear. If one side has lots of stiction and the other does not, the side that doesn't have it gets more strokes. Too much stiction means you are making a wire edge, so pay attention and use less when the razor is sticking. These three hones cost, currently, $74.96USD, $350USD and $131USD. You'll need some sheets of 2k wet and dry paper to lap the Spyderco UF. You shouldn't need any pasted strops with this, just a good linen or canvas strop and a good leather strop.
I absolutely agree that there are many ways to skin a cat. I have a couple of full sets of Naniwas, a set of Nortons, and all of the Shapton Pros. Then many natural stones, and a bunch of barber hones, slates, Thuringians and Eschers. I wasted a lot of time and money. The three I recommend do it for me, but I don't doubt other people can do as well or better with their choices. If you want to stick with the one razor, and just need to maintain it, you don't need the bevel setting 1k, and will be able to go a long time with just the finisher. Eventually, the edge will need a deeper refresh, and a coticule or other midrange hone will be required.
Frankly, if you have a razor you like, and you like the shaves you get from it, it is completely reasonable to avoid spending more money on more razors. Just spend what you have to on maintaining the edge. I would admire anyone capable of doing that, but to be fair to myself, I had to buy a lot of hones, stones and razors before I discovered the razor or two, and the three or four hones that could do it forever for me. So, you can learn from my expensive mistakes, or you can repeat them all for yourself! Ain't it fun?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Nice update, Tim. Glad to hear you're back in the saddle.

Sounds like you're getting into the swing of it very nicely.

As always the Good Doctor has given great advice. You can't go wrong with any of his honing recommendations.

Looking forward to your further progress.

Chris