Ern 1166

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Southbound

Ern 1166

Post by Southbound »

IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/1zo821f.jpg[/IMG]
I bought a NOS ERN straight razor. I was wandering what kind of grind this is?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Ern 1166

Post by drmoss_ca »

Here's the photo as it is hard to link to:
1zo821f.jpg
1zo821f.jpg (611.12 KiB) Viewed 6062 times
It's fully hollowed. It looks asymmetric though, but this might just be the camera angle. There were German straights (by Puma) that were hollowed on one side only and intended for use as microtomes, not shaving. I have one and can attest that it won't shave. If this blade is asymmetric, I would guess it was ground by an apprentice, or has been twisted since.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Southbound

Post by Southbound »

No its ground the same on both sides - i believe its just the camera angle. Later i will try and post a better cross section view of the razor. These razor have a very rounded point - i thought it maybe a half hollow - but the very prounouced round point may make it look like a half hollow. What is the differece between a three quarter hollow and a half hollow?
ImageImage
Southbound

Post by Southbound »

[/img]http://i65.tinypic.com/1zdx9uv.jpg[/IMG]

For some reason I can't figure out how to consistently show images??
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Southbound wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:22 am No its ground the same on both sides - i believe its just the camera angle. Later i will try and post a better cross section view of the razor. These razor have a very rounded point - i thought it maybe a half hollow - but the very prounouced round point may make it look like a half hollow. What is the differece between a three quarter hollow and a half hollow?
One quarter? :D
I don't think I have ever met a three-quarter hollowed razor. Personally, I only like half-hollows and quarter hollows.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Southbound

Post by Southbound »

I think its a half hollow. For its day a 90+ old blade it was probably might have been considered a 1/1 hollow. I think this fellow ERN was the first to start using or came up with the double wheel hollow grinder - though I don't don't if he invented it or not? Its hard to get a good pic - but its just as paper thin as a 'full hollow' at the 'thin' part, and its sings. It just starts getting thicker around half way.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Neat blade but looks like a full hollow to me. I expect the metal to be meatier in the middle were it not but would have to put my hands on it to really confirm.

Either way, use it in good health. Every Ern I've honed for customers has taken a great edge. Hope you're does too.

Chris
naturalpuerh

Post by naturalpuerh »

like a free blade which is as thin as invisible!