An Interesting Razor: Spear Wedge

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drmoss_ca
Admin

An Interesting Razor: Spear Wedge

Post by drmoss_ca »

This little razor sat on the Wall of Shame for many years, but never got the attention it deserved. It's a tiny 4/8 wedge of carbon steel, made in Germany and imported and sold by the Kraut and Dohnal barber shop supply company in Chicago, active between the years 1902 - 1937. I'm guessing it is from the 1920's. Pretty celluloid scales with no sign of rot. The 'Spear Wedge name and arrow are metal inset into the scale. There is some superficial pitting on the blade, and some metal polish would take it out. At some point in its life someone put it away without cleaning off the lather properly, evidenced by the line of tiny pits seen on the back of the blade. I rather like that: it shows the razor has some history under its belt and that it has been used by a regular careless user, rather than the kind of obsessed perfectionist who oils it after every shave!

The narrow blade and the wedge grind (not a flat-sided standard wedge, but with a little hollow on each side) means it is extremely stiff and it shows in the honing and the shave. It takes a little extra time on the hone, but the steel isn't super hard and it takes a nice edge, which is improved with some paste on a paddle. It does require a little extra push to get it through the stubble, and you can feel the resistance of the hair, but the result is a very close shave and no irritation. Not even a bit of a sting with aftershave after downwards and across grain passes. Generally, I prefer bigger razors, and it takes a little time to get used to the fact that the lather and stubble must be rinsed off every few strokes, rather than after doing half your face!

I think I'll play with it for a few days before moving on.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Re: An Interesting Razor: Spear Wedge

Post by brothers »

Nice little razor! Makes me wonder what other treasures you've got resting on the wall.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

In one sense, none at all: the office is sold and is now part of a chocolate factory. But I have a couple of bankers boxes in the basement full of brushes and razors!

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sando

Post by Sando »

That razor has tons of character. The size, logo, and scales all work and the obvious use add to the cool factor. The outlines match similar Gencos and other makers. I wonder if these were mass produced and then tailored to meet a dealers spec?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's unlikely that the Solingen manufacturer sold them only to one barbershop in Chicago, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could find very similar razors under a different name.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the office is sold and is now part of a chocolate factory
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lifetime supply of choc part of the sale price?????? :)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I wish...

Pierre-Simon de Laplace