Conditioniong a strop

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Conditioniong a strop

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've quite a stack of strops acquired over the years, and fancied a change today. Lately, I've been using the excellent Dovo/Jemico Red Russian strop, but it's only 2" wide and sometimes my right arm wishes I would use a wider strop. So I dug around in the stash and came out with one of Tony Miller's Heirloom 3" latigo horsehide strops, combined with a linen back. It was dusty and a bit of a mess from old oil on the surface. So I took it apart and cleaned the leather with GooGone, and redressed it with neat's foot oil. Screwed the parts together and gave it a good rubbing with my palm to warm the leather and let the oil soak in. A trial strop shows excellent draw and good effect. Now I just need to find some white paste for the linen and I'll be all set to go!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Re: Conditioniong a strop

Post by EL Alamein »

Wow, I'd be terrified the goo gone would introduce something irritating.

It's tough to get away from those old Juchten strops they are just so excellent. Good on you though and I'm mighty curious how you get on with the Miller strop after the goo gone.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Conditioniong a strop

Post by drmoss_ca »

My usual way of getting gunk off a strop is to use waterless hand cleanser of the kind mechanics use on black oily hands. However, my tin had gone putrid and I thought some orange oil would do the job. It seems it does, as the strop is bust drinking up the neat's foot oil, and the razors drag just the right amount.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace