Razor ID: Wester Bros?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Henry_L

Razor ID: Wester Bros?

Post by Henry_L »

Recently acquired a used razor with the only identifier being "MaganesE" (sic) on the tang:
westr.jpeg
westr.jpeg (57.67 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
I think it may be a Wester Bros but have been unable to find an exact match online. I went through a sequence of lapping and stropping and the initial shave went pretty well.

I'd like to replace scales and polish (very little pitting). Before purchasing stuff it would help to know exactly what I have and if it merits added expense. Comments on model, origin and quality would be greatly appreciated.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Razor ID: Wester Bros?

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, that's typical Wester Bros "Manganese" razor. Wester and Butz made their razors in Solingen, I think they began in the 1920's, and later started a business importing them to the USA under the title Wester Bros. I believe they continued making razors until around 1970.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Henry_L

Post by Henry_L »

Thanks drmoss. The Westers I located online were all etched on both sides of the tang. This razor only has ManganesE on one tang side. It does not look as if anything has worn or been rubbed off on any other area. This was maybe an economy model or special issue? It's beginning to look as if this razor merits some work :)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Oh, yes, it ought to be a respectable shaver and looks as if it has hardly any use on it so far. The mottled scales look a bit unusual - I hope they don't smell of celluloid rot?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Henry, just for the record, I really like those original scales!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Henry_L

Post by Henry_L »

The scan looks better, brothers. As I look at it now the scales are an an off-yellow celluloid which may have emetic properties. Kinda got my brain stuck on olivewood scales. :?