Honing Experiment

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
EL Alamein

Re: Honing Experiment

Post by EL Alamein »

Dr. Moss,

For the coticule finished blades that get better with extensive stropping. Are you using the red Jemico or the new strop with the glass finish?

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm using all three parts of the Kanayama - the washed and softened canvas, the suede and then the cordovan.

Years ago I wrote about the idea of a rather coarsely-honed razor with catchy little teeth in the edge being used only with the grain. The coticule-only edges would be perfect for this. Quite comfy if you are going downhill, and seem to get that pass pretty close. The irritation comes going across and against the grain. No doubt someone with more skill could make a coticule-only edge better than mine. If I were a one-pass shaver, it would be a very reasonable way to go.

A few days ago I took four decent razors that are not in regular use and touched them up on the UF (under running water) then the black Ark (with water/detergent/glycerine). The little 4/8 Knyn, the Spear Wedge have both turned out splendid. Shaves where the next morning you think, ruefully, that maybe there isn't enough stubble to justify another shave just yet. Today I'll use the J C Cast Steel, and tomorrow the original prototype Hart. All are either wedges or quarter hollows, so I'm not making it easy for the hones with extra-hollow blades.

I may have been wrong about the order of the UF and Arkansas. The UF is so much faster cutting that I was getting the impression it was doing a better job than the Ark. I'm thinking the Ark is actually finer, but slower and if you use it after the UF, and do so thoroughly enough, you get better results. There is no end to this madness!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Southbound

Post by Southbound »

So did the glycerin help with the grabbing/sticking?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've been using a mixture in a squeezy bottle of water, a few drops of dish detergent and a few ml of glycerine for months on the Arkansas stones. It simulates the smoothness of honing oil, but doesn't contaminate the stone.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Those four razors turned out very well indeed. Touched up Big Daddy - the giant W&B chopper - today in just the same way. Looking forward to tomorrow's shave.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Back after a long hiatus. I think I have confirmed what I suggested a couple of posts above, that the black Ark is capable of a more refined edge than the Spyderco UF, but it takes some time to show up as it is a slow-cutting hone that polishes more than it cuts. The Spyderco works quickly and deceives with it's fast results, but it certainly bridges the gap between the coticule and the black Ark, and means less time needs be spent on the Ark to get to the same endpoint.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace