primal scaling

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Henry_L

primal scaling

Post by Henry_L »

Will be starting my first scaling project soon. I'll be working with precut scales as I don't have the tools/experience to fashion my own. I've reviewed Youtube instructions (pretty good) but have some questions. I'd like to mine forum wisdom.

-- some pinning kits include rosettes, some don't. I'm not clear on pinning with and without rosettes.

-- what is the practical distinction between celluloid and micarta scales; both appear to be plastic.

-- pinning kits are offered in both nickel and brass, reputed that brass is easier to pin. Correct?

-- I've found two ways of removing scales on Youtube. One simply involves using cutters (scales usually destroyed) and the other is drilling into a pin with a dremel (scales preserved). Anyone conversant with these methods?

-- 1/16 is the constant for pins and drilling irrespective of razor size?

-- any thoughts on recycling scales if there is a size match? I've noticed some cheap razors have respectable looking scales.

Thanks all.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: primal scaling

Post by drmoss_ca »

Henry_L wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:41 pm
-- some pinning kits include rosettes, some don't. I'm not clear on pinning with and without rosettes.
A matter of preference and or historical accuracy.
-- what is the practical distinction between celluloid and micarta scales; both appear to be plastic.
Micarta is extremely hard - a substrate infused with epoxy or resin.
-- pinning kits are offered in both nickel and brass, reputed that brass is easier to pin. Correct?
Correct.
-- I've found two ways of removing scales on Youtube. One simply involves using cutters (scales usually destroyed) and the other is drilling into a pin with a dremel (scales preserved). Anyone conversant with these methods?
Or you can take a little rat tail file and file off the top of the rivet. Protect scales with tape around the rivet if you want to keep them.
-- 1/16 is the constant for pins and drilling irrespective of razor size?
There are some with 3/32 brass wire rivets.
-- any thoughts on recycling scales if there is a size match? I've noticed some cheap razors have respectable looking scales.
Sure. Done that lots of times.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Henry_L

Post by Henry_L »

Drmoss -- thanks much for the speedy info. I was thinking about ordering a cheap Chinese razor & just using the scales if I get a match. Been there?

BTW the Oxford is in the drawer for now. I was able to get it almost flush but when I tried honing results were disappointing. Diminishing returns. :cry:
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've never been tempted by a cheap Chinese razor, even just for the scales! But given they are the only part of the razor fit for purpose, why not?
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Henry_L

Post by Henry_L »

A few months ago I purchased from Aliexpress, based on reviews, around $28:
1.jpg
1.jpg (40.25 KiB) Viewed 7349 times
It is carbon steel but required some light honing. Now it shaves superbly. Would that the Oxford achieved 70% of this performance!

Go figure.
Last edited by Henry_L on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry_L

Post by Henry_L »

For their celluloid scales Dovo advises no washers. Should I take that as a rule for all plastic scales and micarta?

Also I was admiring some camel bone scales listed, but would require drilling. Is bone a material the novice should avoid?

Thanks Drmoss.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

No, you can use washers whenever you want. And drilling bone is easy, but smells like having a filling at the dentist's.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Henry_L

Post by Henry_L »

If I'm using a 1/16 rod it appears I can peen an outside washer instead of a rosette. What's the washer size?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Evidently it needs a 1/16 hole in the middle, and after that it's a matter of taste. Are you going to punch out your own from thin brass sheet or buy them? If you buy them, I believe the standard size is a #80.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace