Thanks to Dr Moss for setting me ‘straight’

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
RocketMan

Thanks to Dr Moss for setting me ‘straight’

Post by RocketMan »

I wanted to say thank you once again to Dr Moss.

Almost 12 years ago I boldly contacted him and explained I was trying to get into str8 shaving and that I lived on the other coast of Canada. I sorted of whined how I was not having luck lining up someone who could sharpen a proper edge for me. I really needed to experience appropriate sharpness as a str8 beginner/wannabe. Options were barely there at that time so I contacted him thinking ‘what can I lose?’ Well, I didn’t lose a thing, but rather won big time!

Dr Moss very generously offered to sharpen two razors for me and I was thrilled! The first time I ever ‘packed up’ a razor, but I wasted no time doing so and sent them out via Canada Post. I think it was about two weeks only before I received back the razors (Canada Post can no longer pull that off without hefty additional fees) and my shaving passion for all things edgy began to snowball. There was a Pipe razor and an early 20’s Henckel. Both different grinds, but both now shaved awesomely! From these foundational str8 shaves I am now reasonably adept at sharpening and maintaining my razors - and have been able to do so since those first shaves with help of the Doc’s impressive honeside manner. Those two razors are still in my rotation, and the Pipe particularly feels very special to me.

Thank you Dr Moss. Your gift remains most meaningful to me.
Wayne
When life isn't looking too bright - polish the dull side!!!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Thanks to Dr Moss for setting me ‘straight’

Post by drmoss_ca »

Thank you! I understand it is pretty much standard in the enabling business to give the first hit for free...

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Let's have some fun! The first person to PM me before close of business at 5pm AST tomorrow (I'm in Atlantic Standard Time, which is currently UTC -4hours) can send me a single razor and it gets honed for free. (He will pay only return postage, as determined by Canada Post, not by me, by PayPal. I shall decline to pay import duties, so both the sender and I shall agree the value of the razor to be $20, USD or CDN, as that will not attract duty). Specify if you want an edge on Naniwa, Shapton or natural stones. Pastes an option at your discretion. Or I can simply do what seems to work as some combination of the above. I can't guarantee the result, but I'll do my best. Please, don't send the dogs you have tried to hone for ages and failed to get anywhere with.

I am likely to be unavailable for anything for a period of two months beginning around the end of July (I'm told to expect an admission of 2 months duration, but that may be delayed by Covid-19 for goodness knows how long), but if you believe in your postal service (and mine :( ), we can do this.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

Enabling indeed! There is not only my atrociously over indulgent straight razor disorder, but your darn shaving treatise had me drooling for Trumpers Coral Skin Food for months. So, I finally wiped my chin, bought me some, and I have been a rose scent shaver but ever since. Thanks again actually!

What a wonderful response, to have some fun and offer up a good old fashioned razor honing. I see your honeside manner is holding up fabulously! I’m quite pleased to have catalyzed such a Gentlemanly offer and would like to send my good wishes to ride along with the project.

If there is anything to karma, you should have the edge over the common laws of the universe! Be well. And thanks.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

RocketMan wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:58 pm...Those two razors are still in my rotation, and the Pipe particularly feels very special to me.

Thank you Dr Moss. Your gift remains most meaningful to me.
"Well, if this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sadly, no takers. Here I am, getting the best edges I've had this last twenty years and no one wants to try them.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

If that problem continues I would be pleased to compare and contrast your last 12 years of perfecting an edge! Your Mor complete menu of options sounds delicious. Hopefully though someone comes along.