What Did You Hone Today?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drmoss_ca
Admin

What Did You Hone Today?

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm working through all my straights, trying to get each as good as possible to make their eventual sale more respectable, as I'm in the somewhat odd position of planning for an uncertain future. After three or four months of a new razor being honed each day, the end is getting close - I have about 30 Solingen razors to go, maybe five more TIs and a few Sheffields. Frankly, I'll be delighted to go back to the favourites, after all this chopping and changing.

In preparation for the next couple of days I honed two TI Super Gnomes today. Both 5/8, one old enough to have a stamped shank, and the other bought to make a pair has a laser etched shank. The original black and white celluloid scales have been replaced with TI olivewood scales courtesy of Ray DuPont. The older of the pair has a special place in my heart, as it was my favourite razor back in the days when I mistakenly thought I understood what I was doing; it appears in The Art of the Straight Razor Shave quite a lot. Having been humbled by time and experience, all I can say is that no one else knew what they were doing in those days either! Later on, I bought a pair of the much later issued 6/8 Super Gnomes, and they'll be up next. I'm ashamed to say I had to use some home made green paste on these blades as they had acquired a few rust spots during their exile in the basement. It takes off superficial rust wonderfully.

Here they are, with a hint as to how I honed them:

SuperGnome_58.jpg
SuperGnome_58.jpg (84 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: What Did You Hone Today?

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yesterday I honed a white 6/8 Super Gnome:
index.jpg
index.jpg (106.2 KiB) Viewed 9845 times
and it shaved like magic today. So I'll hone up its brother for tomorrow:

Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Last but one TI after all these weeks, a Loup et Bellier 5/8 olivewood:

LoupetBellier58.jpg
LoupetBellier58.jpg (99.59 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

TI 1937 Special Coiffeur - a cheaper half hollow, which will be the end of the TIs.
SpecialCoiffeur.jpg
SpecialCoiffeur.jpg (89.74 KiB) Viewed 9807 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Having finally reached the last TI, I found a Reynolds wedge in serious need of cleaning up. Honed (bravely, on coticule alone) and it will be used tomorrow.

Reynolds chopper.jpg
Reynolds chopper.jpg (76.83 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Getting ahead of myself, here, but it's hard not to hone when addicted. So the Reynolds chopper will be used tomorrow, and the next couple of days after that I'll be using these two:

Dovo_EnVogue.jpg
Dovo_EnVogue.jpg (98.94 KiB) Viewed 9787 times
The funny thing about this pair of razors is that they were the very first straight razors I bought back in 2003 when I decided I'd like to try. Stainless steel, as I had read all about the rust-prone carbon steel razors, fake Damascus etching, and with rather heavy Micarta scales (which meant they were not easy to use comfortably). Along with them I got a Colonel Conk Arkansas hone on a wooden paddle, and I innocently assumed I was set up for life. Knowing now that was a soft Arkansas, I could probably use it, but at the time I was like Jon Snow; I knew nothing. I soon discovered I could not make them shave, despite further hones, films, pastes and all. I bought some carbon steel razors and began to know a degree of success. Even so, and even when I moved to using Livi stainless Damasteel and Friodurs, these two still proved to be awkward buggers. Maybe, says I to myself, I know something by now. Maybe, they will shave. So to keep it entertaining to me, I honed both exactly the same way on a coticule under running water. Then one went on to be finished on the coticule with a mixture of water/detergent/glycerine, and the other went on to be finished on the black Arkansas with the same mixture of lubricants.

The back of my left hand tells me the black-scaled razor is going to be better, but a coticule shave can surprise. After the Reynolds, I'll use the blonde, then the next day I'll use the black, and on the third day, I'll probably take the blonde over the black Ark and see how it compares to the black. So many good shaves to be had, and so much to learn along the way!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Old and new 1k bevel setters, one a Naniwa Superstone, and one a Chosera:
Two Naniwas.jpg
Two Naniwas.jpg (101.68 KiB) Viewed 9755 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well, now I have used them both, and I'm not sure what to say. After years of regarding these razors as a lost cause, and silly-looking-who-on-earth-would-be-fooled-that's-not-damascus lost causes to boot, either they, or I have redeemed ourselves. Both shaved very, very nicely. The blonde done on coticule alone shaved very close, but not quite as close or as comfortable as the black. The black has shaved as close as any straight I've ever used, though not without sensation. There are some razors where your face gets glassy smooth and you can't feel anything happening. This is not one of them, but nonetheless, I'd rate it a very comfy shave and no sting when the aftershave went on.

All of a sudden, I think they are pretty razors with rather beautiful blades, and their heavy thick Micarta scales suddenly balance better than they did before.... We are such subjective creatures.

So today, I took the blonde through my blackArk finishing regime. Tomorrow, I will do a half and half shave and compare the two. The only difference between them now is this: both honed under running water on the coticule, and both finished on the blackArk with water/detergent/glycerine. But the blonde had the same finishing regime on the coticule with the same lubricant in between the running water coticule and the blackArk. It's often said that a hard Ark only shows its worth when you place a blade on it that is already pretty damn sharp. Tomorrow tells me if it's worth the extra step on the coticule with lubricants. I have one of those nice tan leather two razor wallets that Dovo used to sell, and while the scales on these are a bit thick (why so bulbous and thick! Micarta is very strong and they could be thinner), they do fit. Might make a nice travel set to have two rust-resistant great shavers (if I ever travelled any more!)

Comme ça, comme on dit içi:

Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

But only honing once a day won't do. I put bevels on these two stainless Hen & Roosters, and I'll finish them the next time the urge to hone comes upon me.

Hen_Rooster.jpg
Hen_Rooster.jpg (133.55 KiB) Viewed 9718 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The Hen & Rooster stainless razors are done and raring to go starting tomorrow. I have a feeling that one of them, maybe both, will actually exceed results on the Dovo EnVogue. I have always felt stainless razors were just a bit more difficult, and never quite got as sharp as carbon. Oh well, I'm working towards 11 stainless Friodurs and then I can revisit the Damasteel Livis to see how wrong I was. But there are still some pretty carbon Solingen razors to deal with first.

IMG_0594.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg (166.81 KiB) Viewed 9696 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I spent the weekend on the hones, working on the less-than-optimal Joseph Rodgers & Sons. Flattened the spine Saturday on both sides (this eliminated the possibility that the blade may have been warped) followed by addressing the bevel and edge (with the help of Lynn's rolling X and circles video) on Sunday to the point of keen cutting and finally, taking the updated blade to the hones I like to use when polishing and maximizing performance. I was able to use my trusty little loupe constantly watching the progress and looking for areas needing more attention than others. I could not have done this without the loupe. The bevels are consistent and the edge appears to be uniform all the way down. I finished up the day on the Escher followed by the TransArk and the Hard black Ark as mentioned elsewhere. Stropped on the linen and leather Jemico. All that's left now is the all-important test shave which will take place much later this evening. Wish me luck on the results! I don't want to be disappointed, but I've been there before with others, and anything is possible.
Rodgers & Sons blade update 082320.jpg
Rodgers & Sons blade update 082320.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 9690 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If the loupe says you got it right, you should be ready for the only test that matters. I do, indeed, wish you luck, but you probably don't need it, as it sounds like you have done it right.

I'll add, for the benefit of others, that flattening the spine on both sides does not correct a warped blade, only an unevenly ground spine. Warped blades are more common than we like to think. A few years ago one of the better-known names of the straight razor renaissance acquired a lot of Friodurs. It turned out they were factory rejects that had never been ground, but someone decided to grind them and see if they would make shavers. I ended up buying eleven of them altogether, and nine turned out to be easily honed and good shavers. Two clowns remain, and I'll have to take them for special treatment, even if it means the darker and more infamous kind.

Pretty_but_Dumb.jpg
Pretty_but_Dumb.jpg (139.3 KiB) Viewed 9688 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Got the first Bergischer Lowe ready today. Indications are that I'll be enjoying some sweet Eskilstuna steel tomorrow!

Berbischer_Lowe+blonde.jpg
Berbischer_Lowe+blonde.jpg (51.16 KiB) Viewed 9649 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Being a slave to honing addiction, I had to go back later and do the other one for Friday:

Bergischer_Lowe_black.jpg
Bergischer_Lowe_black.jpg (57.77 KiB) Viewed 9643 times
These razors are very pretty, and the steel in them is plainly a step up from standard Dovo fare. But when these were sold they came with a plastic or rubbery black sleeve around the shank (something they have dropped in the 6/8 versions still sold). I guess it was to improve grip, but what it actually did was to allow some moisture to seep under it. Hence both razors have some tiny superficial black spots on the spine and shank, which I could polish off in a minute or two with some green paste, but if I do that, the gold wash is gone. So I slit the sleeves and threw them away, and I and Dovo seem to have learned a lesson. Still glorious shavers though! They shave like half-hollows, stiff, silent and uncomplaining.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There ain't no cure. Bismarcks done too. Good for the next four days now.

Bismarcks.jpg
Bismarcks.jpg (79.41 KiB) Viewed 9640 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I shan't need this till Monday, but thought I might as well get ahead of the game. A W.R.Case & Sons stainless 5/8:

Case_stainless.jpg
Case_stainless.jpg (115.96 KiB) Viewed 9588 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Started with the first of three Wapienicas. Two of them live in a nice antique travel case being about the only razors thin enough to fit in it. There were a lot of badly ground Wapis, but when you get a good one they are lovely to shave with (as long as you can handle the heavy steel scales!)

Wapis.jpg
Wapis.jpg (162.94 KiB) Viewed 9560 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And being quite unable to help myself, I honed the two Wapis from the exquisite blue velvet case as well. The edges feel amazing.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:19 am And being quite unable to help myself, I honed the two Wapis from the exquisite blue velvet case as well. The edges feel amazing.
Dr Moss - your descriptions of all these razors really makes me yearn to experience the sensation. A couple of years ago I yielded to the temptation of a "barber" shave - which was, in reality, a badly wielded shavette that felt awful and yielded poor results. But - glad you have something that works, and obviously works well. They always provide excellent reading.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Have you ever shaved yourself with a straight razor? I don't want you to cut yourself, but if you ever want to learn, I can likely help with a properly sharp blade.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace