What Did You Hone Today?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
EL Alamein

Re: What Did You Hone Today?

Post by EL Alamein »

I am looking forward to this.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well, you have seen what happened in the SOTD threads. Coticule-only is very sharp, but leaves the face a bit raw. At least, that's true for my coticule and my technique. YMMV etc.

Lately, I have finished on the 2k-lapped Spyderco UF, rather than the 2k-lapped Black Arkansas. I'm still not certain about the order of these two hones. I seem to be pretty sure the UF alone is better than the Ark alone. But is that because it is finer, or is the Ark too fine to make a coticule edge that good?

Today's shave was my favourite W&B chopper finished on the 2k-UF. Now I have put it to the 2k black Ark as well, and tomorrow we will see. I guess all it will mean is that it works for this razor, but small steps are all we can take when going into new territory.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Having enjoyed a few weeks of wedges and quarter hollows, I've found myself looking forwards to the turn of the two Hart prototypes. Now they are not only quarter hollow O1 steel, but they were made by Tim himself, not one of Classic's 'artisans'. But I decided to go all the way and get out the other five Hart 6/8 razors and hone them all up to current standard (lapped Spyderco UF, lapped black Ark, Kanayama stropping). Along with my re-exploration of the very old Salter creams I've dug out of the Drawers of Shame, I'm looking forward to some very pleasant shaves!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Most excellent! I'll be looking forward to the results.

As an aside, I have lapped my UF and I'm ready to give it a whirl. I'll probably lap my Shaptons first as well.

If I find time to do all this I'll report back my impressions.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'll be interested to see what you make of it. I acquired a spare in case I drop it!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've used four 'artisan'-made Harts so far, with one more to go, then back to the TZ-made prototypes for the weekend. Stunningly good shaves so far. No sensation as the beard is cut, no sting with the aftershave, and very little stubble 24 hours later!

I've also enjoyed the Salter creams, but the blue tubs are nearly empty. I do have a set of shrink-wrapped older white Salter tubs, but looking at them I see the scents did change when the blue tubs came in. No Wild Rose, but an almond instead. I think I'll take a wander through some of the others in the drawers rather than breaking the seals. I've got out some of the Nancy Boy cucumber, Trumper Sandalwood, Harris Lavender, Taylor Rose, coconut and the lemon & lime. Also discovered another tub of Tyrwhitt cream while rooting around. Yippee!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Just to update I haven't had a chance to hone anything. Been busy lately. I'll get to it eventually.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that I've been given a coticule of my own I'm sure I'll be wanting to use it as described, one of these winter days when I'm going to be stuck in the house for a while. A few weeks ago I picked up an old straight razor that's in need of a new edge and someone to shave with it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

A quick update that I did try the following progression: Shapton 1K, 4K, 8K, UF. This was on one of my TI's. It's a bit of a challenge to hone this blade because it's slightly warped and I was just doing a quick honing. Wouldn't shave.

I'll try repeating with another blade and see what that does.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've used the Hart 6/8 seven day set for three weeks now, and I have decided that they ought to have been tempered a bit harder than they were. They hone very easily, get extremely sharp, but don't keep it long. Three or four shaves in and I'm thinking the shave isn't as special as it was. (And yes, I do strop!)
So I shall hone up a Zowada damascus each day for the next week, and shave with it. I'll get in a second shave before I'm banned from sharp objects (other than big fat needles) from Feb 8th onwards.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

All seven razors done, and the shaves so far have been delicious!

P1231084.jpeg
P1231084.jpeg (200.63 KiB) Viewed 8882 times

Cocobolo, buffalo horn, lacewood, mammoth ivory, cocobolo, ebony, ebony.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

A beautiful chest full of genuine treasure!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Having but a dozen shaves left (before I am forced to use an electric shaver or nothing at all - fludaribine & busulphan don't tend to cause complete hair loss but have always slowed down growth and permanently stopped some follicles from growing anything since, and using an edged weapon on the remaining hair will not be an option when I bleed just when you look at me the wrong way) I decided to involve my other favourite razors. Vintage Livis. I know, Il Mastro went a bit reckless in terms of tasteful design, and it's hard to respect someone who buys a billet of Damasteel and shapes it with an angle grinder! But in his heyday, he made some wicked good razors out of Damasteel, with tasteful scales to boot. You can't buy them these days, but if you ever see one for sale on the secondhand market, jump at it. The honing is something different to other steels, and I have found it best to largely follow his method, and I get lovely shaves after using under running water a Chosera 1k, coticule, Spyderco UF lapped to 2k, and finish with a black Arkansas lapped to 2k and with water/detergent/glycerine as a lubricant.
So today I was due to use a gorgeous Zowada damascus with lacewood scales, and had it stropped and ready. I know how it shaves and there was much to look forward to, but then the worm in my brain turned and made me get a Livi out of the display case. The one with ebony scales. "I'll do the first pass with it and then move on to the TZ" said I to myself. Is it lying when you are talking to yourself? Of course it is. The Livi did the whole shave, making a nonsense of my SOTD post. Probably 90% of the closeness of the TZ damascus, but still smooth to touch and zero sting when the No.74 Victorian Lime went on.
Maybe there is no moral to this, but if there is one, it might be that vintage Livi razors and Zowada razors are the ones you turn to, if lucky enough to have them, when shaving gets desperate! Here are my nine vintage Livis (there were ten but my ex-nephew-in-law has one of them):

Nine_Vintage_Livis.jpeg
Nine_Vintage_Livis.jpeg (272.1 KiB) Viewed 8796 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Six Livis so far have been delightful, but I thought I'd touch up a couple of the remainder just to make the last shaves extra good. So today I freshened up my oldest briarwood, and the mammoth ivory-scaled Snake razor.

I hate to think of them being made with an angle-grinder, but I can't argue with the results!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday I just wasn't in the mood to shave, so I didn't. Today's rough looking two day growth inspired me to use one of my favorite old straight razors - the Rodgers & Sons. It did a great job. If memory serves correctly, this was a flea market purchase from way back when I was starting out. In my opinion, as of today this is one of the best edges of any of my straight razors. I wanted to use this razor today because I recently added a jasper stone to my small group, and I was wondering if there is any proof to the reputation of the jasper stones. Yes, the result is excellent. In addition to this razor, I'm now going to take my time and go through all of my other straight razors with one or more of the arkansas/UF/coticule/jasper finishing stone assortment to make sure all of the edges that I see when using the loupe are as straight and smooth as this razor. The jasper is harder than steel, doesn't require flattening, and the beneficial slurry is created with a well-worn diamond plate.
Rodgers & Sons blade update 082320.jpg
Rodgers & Sons blade update 082320.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 8281 times
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I was busy today as relating to straight razors. Loved every minute of it because I've added some highly recommended stones to my conservative group of stones. I honed 5 of them: Red Imp Wedge; Torrey; Puma Inox 7/8; SSA; and the Boker King Cutter 7/8. I had a nice two day growth of whiskers and the Red Imp wedge went first. The result was very promising. It'll take a while for me to work through the next four, because I'm only shaving every other day, and will be alternating between the straight razors and the General SE safety razor. The first stone was the Norton 1K just to make sure we were working on a commonly well-established bevel. No tape on the spine. Following the 1K were the coticule second and finishing with the jasper stone. Checked the progress frequently with the loupe on all 5 razors. Didn't take any photos.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Last evening I enjoyed taking another 5 razors through the stones. I chose the Clauss; Puma Special; Dubl Duck Special #1; CV Heljestrand M*K #48 stainless Viking (Eskilstuna Sweden); and Dubl Duck GoldEdge. The Clauss was one of my first straight razors a few years ago, so I wanted to use it for shaving today's two day growth of beard. Again, the result was another positive testament to the quality of the stones.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

There were 5 old Wade & Butcher razors and one even older R.Wade stubtail (1812-1816) that came up for blade maintenance yesterday.

It stands to reason that those old veterans have passed through countless hands and across dozens of stones before ending up together on my kitchen countertop awaiting their long overdue day of edge-reckoning before the mighty Court of Stones.

Speaking only of the tiny/shiny sliver of English Sheffield steel we call the cutting edge, some showed the scars of neglect and abuse. Others have been somewhat better maintained but as of yesterday they now share a new beginning in common.

Some of them figuratively flew through the rigorous edge indoctrination program without issue. Others required (and still require) lntense rehabilitation before the Court grants them a passing judgement.

But no doubt, the Stones will ultimately create a uniformly efficient corps of cutting edges among these old shaving tools that would make all of their former owners proud! I'm honored to be their current custodian. Photos to be added as it becomes convenient.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

My trusty loupe is an absolute necessity now that I've finally assembled the best of the best (my own personal opinion of course) stones. And my proof is in what I see when looking at the razor's edge before and after which tells me I'm heading in the right direction, and when I finally reach that perfect edge I'm looking for. No guess-work!

Saturday evening was spent with 5 more razors undergoing the full treatment from the Brotherhood of the Stones! :D

Yesterday's 5 razors were the black-handle Torrey; Hart 6/8; Filarmonica Novodur #14 (8/8); Hess Forty-Four stainless steel 6/8; and the Friodur 6/8. I must say that even though the Filarmonica is a full hollow ground blade, when I looked at the edge after the stones, it was the most perfect and small (narrow in width) edge I've ever seen. If and when I decide to use the Filarmonica I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience, even though I'm clearly inclined to favor wedges over full hollow singing razors.

Yes, now I have only around 7 more straight razors to visit the full stone treatment before I am finished with the project. I think I should choose a very small group (3 or so, considering my 3 brushes, 1 safety razor, 2 SE blades, and 1 post-shave splash) of straight razors for my actual group I consider daily-use workhorses, if any. I love all of my 31 straight razors or course, but it's impractical to presume I'll ever be using all of them all of the time and perpetually maintaining the edges on 31 razors. :D :!:
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday I honed 4 old razors - Rugby, Sheaf-Works, Frederick Reynolds, and Dumas Aine 32 Mediacle Yardy (French, I suppose). As far as three of them are concerned, that's the good news. I used the Rugby this morning, and can't wait to experience the others whenever the mood strikes me.

Bad news: All but one - Fredrick Reynolds - were fine according to the loupe. The Reynolds was a dismal failure. I wasted a lot of time bread-knifing, patiently attempting to set a new bevel, but - long story short - then I found that the old blade is quite bent. There's no amount of honing that will fix that. At that point all is lost and this one is going into the recycling bin. I suspect that's why it was sold (to me and to who knows how many other guys before me). I'm putting this one in a place where no one will ever again be cheated paying good money and lots of effort attempting to sharpen the edge for this piece of junk. On the other side of the coin, I did learn a lot in the process.
Gary