H. Boker & Co

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: H. Boker & Co

Post by drmoss_ca »

Boker imported knives and razors from Sheffield for some of their brands, but not all. From 1868 some were made in their own factory in Solingen. The 1890 Tariffs Act made imported goods more expensive, and Boker bought a forge works in Newark in 1903 so he could make products in America. Some knives were still imported from Sheffield up to about 1906, but I don't know about razors. You can find some detail on this at strazors.com.

Now whether it was actual 'cast steel' in the later 1800s is doubtful, but terms like that were used for marketing long after they were no longer literally true (see 'silver steel' as well!)
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

There are some old Boker razors called "Damascus". I think there is a bit of discussion on SR boards as to Boker's use of the term on certain steels.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I have two of the modern offerings and they are top notch. So here's to keeping up the tradition.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I wonder what happened to the original post, as I see mine was a reply to some question?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

drmoss_ca wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:04 am I wonder what happened to the original post, as I see mine was a reply to some question?
The ghost in the machine has struck again!

Chris