Acquisitions thread

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
adhoc

Re: Acquisitions thread

Post by adhoc »

fallingwickets wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:26 am how were the trumper soaps?

clive
I haven't had time to use them yet but they smell like my other, more recent, almond tallow soaps.
kronos9 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:09 pm
adhoc wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:51 pm <snip> I'm gonna try to upload them here (my dad has a scanner I can use next time I visit him).
If you have an Android phone you can install Genius Scan (I have the upgraded version for $5 and it's worth it) and scan your stuff into PDFs. Cheaper and more convenient than buying/using a physical scanner. I seem to use my phone for everything except communication. :lol:
Thanks for the tip but I have access to a "normal" scanner now so I will probably use that one.
Olle
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

It has been a while.
Henson AL13 unbox2_3270.JPG
Henson AL13 unbox2_3270.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 6268 times
A "Rocket Red" Henson AL13 (Mild)
I think this was my first shave with it. I really like it.
SOTD 2021-06-03 Henson_3272.JPG
SOTD 2021-06-03 Henson_3272.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 6268 times
The green AS is a bit of Osage Rub, from a PIF.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John, thanks for bringing this razor to our attention.

I notice on the website that there is no reference to the razor being mild, so is that your personal assessment?
(Just read further on the website and found that the AL13 is mild and that one can find through another link the AL13-Medium. The website is a little confusing the way they have one access these two razors.)

How mild is it? Can you compare it to any other razors?

(My definition of mild is a Merkur Progress/Mergress at lowest setting or a Rockwell razor on plate 2, which are both mild, yet efficient. They are both easy on my very sensitive skin, but definitely not as mild as a Gillette Tech. I would consider an Edwin Jagger or fixed-head Merkur to be in the moderate range, definitely not mild.)

Thanks for any further feedback you can offer.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

interested to know about the mildness too, thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:05 pm John, thanks for bringing this razor to our attention.

I notice on the website that there is no reference to the razor being mild, so is that your personal assessment?
(Just read further on the website and found that the AL13 is mild and that one can find through another link the AL13-Medium. The website is a little confusing the way they have one access these two razors.)

How mild is it? Can you compare it to any other razors?

(My definition of mild is a Merkur Progress/Mergress at lowest setting or a Rockwell razor on plate 2, which are both mild, yet efficient. They are both easy on my very sensitive skin, but definitely not as mild as a Gillette Tech. I would consider an Edwin Jagger or fixed-head Merkur to be in the moderate range, definitely not mild.)

Thanks for any further feedback you can offer.

- Murray
Yeah, they are not very clear about the "Mild" vs "Medium" thing. You go to the FAQ section under "What is the difference between Henson AL13 and Henson AL13 - Medium" to get dimension specifics, but elsewhere they seem to regard the mild version as the default. Originally (IIRC) they called the Medium version the "Mens" version, and the mild as "Ladies" (or something like that).
Also, when you read reviews of it the reviewer typically fails to indicate which they are using.

Now as far as "how mild is it" goes, I have never used a Merkur nor a Rockwell. I regard the EJ DE87 as being milder-feeling than any Tech I've used, so it would seem that a comparison to any other razor is difficult.
Maybe like a Gillette Slim Adjustable on 1 or 2? I'd have to do a mid-pass razor swap to really make a comparison.
I found that it works very well with Astra SP and Shaverboy (another Canadian company) blades, and it's the only razor I like with Feathers. Right now I using a Wilkinson Sword blade in it (my least favourite brand) just to see what happens. It feels "okay" so far (6 shaves), but still not as pleasant a shaving experience as with the other blades.

The trapezoidal cross-section of the head is a new thing for me. It didn't take long to get used to.

One example of the precision with which they machine it is that when you screw the head onto the handle, by the time you get 1 or 2 turns in there is almost no wobble. The head is only 0.3 mm longer than the blade, so that even though the end tabs do not stick out you can still grasp the blade ends with your finger and thumb to pull it off the base plate.
It's very quiet too.

The length of the handle is a bit (3/4"?) longer than I would normally want, but with the overall light weight (38 g), it is just right for good balance.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, John. That sounds like it is adequately mild for my purposes, while still quite efficient.

I agree that the handle is longer than my preference, but I get your point about its contribution to balance. I avoided getting a Schick Krona for a long time because of the long handle. When I finally got one, I found that same contribution to balance and I just naturally held it father down the handle, closer to the end, as I do with a shorter handle.

I like the fact that these razors are machined, and that it is done with such precision. The novel design to eliminate blade chatter is also intriguing. This razor looks very well suited to my needs (though I hardly need another razor. :oops: )

I'm about ready to order one of these!

- Murray
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

John Rose wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:59 pm ... Now as far as "how mild is it" goes, I have never used a Merkur nor a Rockwell. I regard the EJ DE87 as being milder-feeling than any Tech I've used, so it would seem that a comparison to any other razor is difficult.
Maybe like a Gillette Slim Adjustable on 1 or 2? I'd have to do a mid-pass razor swap to really make a comparison. ...
And so I did just that, tonight.
See Re: SOTD July 26 - August 1, 2021 - Slim & Henson
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

As I recall, 3 - 4 on a Fatboy wasn't very aggressive. I don't know about the Slim. Similar?

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

which colour? :D

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

fallingwickets wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:31 am

clive
Clive, I'm trying to decide between blue and black. :?

- Murray
John Rose

Re: Acquisitions thread - Fat Boy≈Slim?

Post by John Rose »

CMur12 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:42 pm As I recall, 3 - 4 on a Fatboy wasn't very aggressive. I don't know about the Slim. Similar?
:-k I have not used a Fat Boy. The only clue I have is the note at the bottom of the B&B wiki Blade Gap chart:
Note: Gillette Adjustables
- Slim and Fat Boy range from .022 @ 1 to .045 @ 9; Fat Boy (195) weighs 79 gm, Slim Adjustable weighs 70
- the Black handle Adjustable ranges from .017 @ 1 to .041 @ 9 or 1 setting smaller than the Slim or Fat Boy
So, I guess it is.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

CMur12 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:38 pm
fallingwickets wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:31 am

clive
Clive, I'm trying to decide between blue and black. :?

- Murray
Just to complicate things, once you add one to your cart (on the Henson site) a sidebar pops out and there's a text box for "Special instructions for seller".
I''ve read that you can use that box to specify different colours for all three parts of the razor. So, you could get, say, a red cap, an aluminum base plate, and a blue handle. I think you would want to confirm by email that it's still possible to do that.

Too bad they don't offer it in white or ivory. Think of the possibilities. 🇨🇦 🇺🇸
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

to specify different colours for all three parts of the razor.
good info to know...thanks.

I put one in the cart but decided to wait until Murray chimes in about his experience. The long handle is a big consideration; not a big fan

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Clive, I don't like long handles, either.

As I mentioned above, I didn't get a Schick Krona for a long time because of the long handle. When I got one, it wasn't really a problem. With a lighter razor, I find I can grip the longer handle near the end, just as I do with a shorter handle on a weightier razor.

(I'm still procrastinating the purchase.)

- Murray
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Okay, I caved! I just ordered one in black.

- Murray
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

CMur12 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:59 pm Okay, I caved! I just ordered one in black.
Mild or Medium?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John Rose wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:52 pm
CMur12 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:59 pm Okay, I caved! I just ordered one in black.
Mild or Medium?
Mild.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray gives new meaning to the word: procrastination

:D :D :D :D :D

clive
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

fallingwickets wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:17 am Murray gives new meaning to the word: procrastination
Hah!
I'm the one who intended to get one but put it off until after the price went up by $30 or so. I even missed out on the discount code for DFS forum members after the price increase. :oops:
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

DFS forum
:shock:
had to look up what dfs is....never heard of it until today...is that where gordon buzz drp richard and squire are hiding?? :D :D :D :D

clive