What was that acronym?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

What was that acronym?

Post by brothers »

Your opinion may vary, or something like that. Can't find it anywhere! It used to be in about 30% of all posts. What the heck did we post when we wanted to say "your experience/opinion/results may vary"?
Similar to SWMBO which shows up in hundreds of posts, just as expected.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Re: What was that acronym?

Post by pausted »

YMMV
Best regards,

Basil
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

pausted wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:58 pmYMMV
Exactly. "Your Mileage May Vary."

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ahhh! Thanks gents! =D>
I guess I was looking for something more literal . . .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

In that case, Gary, you probably need to find out what acronym is used in the same context on car enthusiast forums.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, yes #-o , and therein lies my predicament. Remembering it in context was my first impulse. Failing that task I decided I should search for the 3 most obvious of 4 words, but when my plan B rendered only the 3 obvious words but no phrases, I was high and dry. Looks like my massive vocabulary is eroding a little bit around the edges.Hmmmm . . .

PS: I have always been a car guy due to my family's chosen vocation. At about 6 years of age I was in the shop watching and/or working on cars. I've tried prowling car forums but they just bore me. Nothing to see of interest and I move on. I have the term - mileage - stored permanently, it seems; filed away under something other than shaving.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Gary and Chris -

I find acronyms frustrating (possibly because I have difficulty retaining them in volatile memory), as the same acronym can mean entirely different things in different contexts.

- Murray
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

For the purists among us, YMMV and LOL, & cetera, are not acronyms, they are initialisms. An acronym, strictly speaking, is an accepted word that is spelled out by the first letters of a title, phrase, or saying. An initialism, while possibly pronounceable, does not result in a word. However, this is a minor quibble and I am being dreadfully pedantic.

Buzz
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

How shall we classify LEitz CAmera? A Pithy Partial Portmanteau, or PPP?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

M6Classic wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:52 am For the purists among us, YMMV and LOL, & cetera, are not acronyms, they are initialisms. An acronym, strictly speaking, is an accepted word that is spelled out by the first letters of a title, phrase, or saying. An initialism, while possibly pronounceable, does not result in a word. However, this is a minor quibble and I am being dreadfully pedantic.

Buzz
Like SCUBA or SNAFU ... maybe even FUBAR.

Hmm - lots of "U" in them acronyms isn't' there?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:25 pm Hi Gary and Chris -

I find acronyms frustrating (possibly because I have difficulty retaining them in volatile memory), as the same acronym can mean entirely different things in different contexts.

- Murray
Murray, that's my problem most of the time. Makes me feel better that others are experiencing it. :D
Gary

M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:48 am How shall we classify LEitz CAmera? A Pithy Partial Portmanteau, or PPP?
Yes, Chris, well, of course... While Leica did start out as an initialism, I think the universal opinion today is that Leica has become a proper noun defined as "The finest photo/optical equipment ever made," and thus an acronym.

Buzz