Moustache Wax

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Moustache Wax

Post by drmoss_ca »

Anybody have experience or recommendations? I'm working on a handlebar. I have some Proraso wax on the way, as the cheapest stuff, Pinaud, is sold out everywhere.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Re: Moustache Wax

Post by L. Martino »

Hey Chris, what's doin in Canuckland,

Maybe take a look at the Pomade.com site.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Don't consume hot liquids.

Buzz
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ive seen this guy on youtube a lot and he uses beardbrand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAENjhbIc1k
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The Proraso came today, and smells quite nice ("spice and wood"). Seems to work quite adequately, although I may be in the early stages before such things are really needed. I'm aiming more for an RAF-style horizontal twist, than any kind of sergeant-major/kaiser spiky nonsense. No doubt this will all collapse into ignominy when the Boss say enough is enough and demands unprickly kisses. In the meantime I shall enjoy my dreams.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Being Canadian, you may not have known about the great baseball moustache movement in the 1970's.

Moustache.jpg
Moustache.jpg (148.65 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Have no fear, I shan't go there! This is current status:

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

When I had a handlebar with an 8" wingspan and I wanted an English-style handlebar (straight out to the side, no curl) I used this stuff:

göt2be glued spiking glue. Supposedly for punk-type spikes, I guess. You get a lot of it for not much money. Certainly cheaper than wax products.
It comes out of the tube feeling about like a moisturizing cream, or a much thinner version of Clubman Moustache Wax. It is colourless and not glossy. It dries fairly quickly, but it washes out easily with water at the end of the day.
John's English Handlebar - Jerry's photo2.jpg
John's English Handlebar - Jerry's photo2.jpg (53.65 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
This photo was taken by my barber for his facebook photo album.

It would stay like that for at least 4-6 hours, depending on humidity and activity. Even a light drizzle may not harm it.

The gimmick to make it stay straight was to do only one side at a time. Comb in a pea-sized bit of cream and use a hair dryer, shaping it in the middle with my fingers and slowly working towards the tip, drying as I go. Then apply some to the other side and work it with the dryer from middle to tip again.
It will not keep straight if the very tip has fewer than three hairs, so you have to trim the tips back (symmetrically, of course) to a minimum of three hairs. If you want to make curls or rings then it doesn't matter much.
If it starts to droop or curl at the end of the day, then you can just dampen it a bit and at least make it curl evenly.

Oh. I just realized that my avatar photo was from the same day.
These days though, I'm working on a thin pencil moustache, straight across the top. Not rising in the middle like Clark Gable's, but not creepy-thin like John Waters'. Surprisingly, it takes more work to maintain than a handlebar.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Two more tips for the care and feeding of a handlebar.
  1. Avoid trimming it in the middle. To keep it from hanging over your lips, comb it to the sides, don't cut it short in the middle.
  2. Don't attempt to extend it artificially by allowing hairs to grow from beyond the width of your lips by more than a 1/4" or so. Shave under the ends. Otherwise it'll come out looking silly, like Kenneth Branagh's "Hercule Poirot" 'stache.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:53 am Have no fear, I shan't go there! This is current status:

C.
And currently have progressed to a rather messy soup-strainer:

Trimming nothing so far, just need more material to brush out sideways. I'm not interested in pointy extremities, be they of the sergeant-major, Kaiser Wilhelm or whatever type. For me, it's Biggles or nothing!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace