On Electric Shavers

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
the marauder

Post by the marauder »

Another board for electrics is Electric Razor Rap, at http://jimelliott.suddenlaunch.com
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

i have shaved with the top of the line electrick shavers like Braun, Panasonic, and Norelco. They do not shave as close as my Vision imho and you have to run it across ones hard to reach areas many times to get the hair cut skin close and that leads to razor burn on my neck. The foil works better on the chin and above while the rotory is good on the neck. Nevertheless, I will occasionly shave with an electric to make me appreciate what the DE does for me
Have a wonderful shaving day
Boyextraordinare

Post by Boyextraordinare »

Ya, electrics are child's play.

Ran get a good shave after running over the same spots ad nauseum, but it's boring and burning.
jhonmiller

Re: On Electric Shavers

Post by jhonmiller »

Thanks for such the healthy discussion on the topic of electric shaver. It really help me out in getting the valueable insight. Get latest electric shaver
[spam link removed].
Last edited by jhonmiller on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I gave up on electrics when I could no longer buy a replacement foil a mere two years after I bought the razor. :evil:
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Xring3

Post by Xring3 »

Every time I’ve used an electric shaver 30 minutes later I think....I need to shave.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I know we're supposed to dis electrics here, but I've always had an electric around and I appear to have done better with it than some others.

When I came to SMF, I had been electric shaving for a number of years and I was perfectly happy with the results. I never had any trouble getting foils and blades for Braun shavers. I returned to DE shaving with a brush and soap - all of which I had used in the past - out of nostalgia.

Lately, I have gotten lazy and have been using the Braun again at times. It is a different tool, requires a different technique, and has different strengths and advantages. It gives me a shave just as good as what I get with a blade and it does it with less irritation.

We all do what works for us and what gives us pleasure. And each individual determines these for himself.

- Murray
naturalpuerh

Post by naturalpuerh »

Each one has its advantages: electric one does not hurt your skin generally!
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:07 pm
We all do what works for us and what gives us pleasure. And each individual determines these for himself.

- Murray
You've nailed it. My facial lawnmowers did an OK job but I just grew tired of having those electric contraptions buzzing in my face every day so I started migrating to wet shaving, ultimately landing where I am in traditional shaving.
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

There will come a day, hopefully not too soon, when circumstances dictate the return to an electric.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Reon87

Post by Reon87 »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:07 pm I know we're supposed to dis electrics here, but I've always had an electric around and I appear to have done better with it than some others.

When I came to SMF, I had been electric shaving for a number of years and I was perfectly happy with the results. I never had any trouble getting foils and blades for Braun shavers. I returned to DE shaving with a brush and soap - all of which I had used in the past - out of nostalgia.

Lately, I have gotten lazy and have been using the Braun again at times. It is a different tool, requires a different technique, and has different strengths and advantages. It gives me a shave just as good as what I get with a blade and it does it with less irritation.

- Murray
Hi! Finally, I found a thread about electric shavers. I was wondering which Braun series is better? I have Braun M60, and I was quite satisfied for 2 years, but recently my skin has started to be more sensitive. I still like electrical shaving for quick use and comfort, so if you know the [spam link removed] for sensitive skin, I will appreciate the advice.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My 15 year old electric razor (Norelco rotary) is still in the top drawer of my shaving counter, and currently gets the call when I'm trimming the space above the nose where the eyebrows try to meet. I'm hoping there will be at least 5 more years from now before I will be of an age that I might be hanging up the wet part of the shaving, presuming I'll still have boots on the ground at all.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Reon87 -

Here is another thread about electric shavers, more specifically a couple of Brauns:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57444

My experience is limited to a Braun I bought approx 20 years ago and a Series 7 that I bought more recently. I have very delicate skin and the Series 7 is amazingly gentle even on the closest/most aggressive setting, which is what I use. So, I don't think you would have a problem with irritation from this shaver.

I go into more detail in a couple of posts in the thread I linked above.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

It seems that whenever someone mentions the brand Braun there are lots of reference to something they call "Foil". I confess I've never encountered anything but the aluminum foil I buy at the grocery store. I presume Norelco doesn't use foil for shaving as far as I know, they have those round blades that cut the whiskers while spinning around real fast. As I've stated elsewhere, I'm all in favor of shaving without judging what other guys use to get the job done, and if they're happy, and they enjoy posting about it, I'm happy too. Cheers! :D
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, the word "foil" in this context refers to a type of shaving head, not to the material used.

Technically, the foil is the metal grate over the cutter, so I think the round grate over rotary cutters would also actually be a foil.

When we talk about foil-type shavers, we refer to those that have straight, linear heads with the cutters moving very fast back and forth. I once saw a foil-type shaver some years back that had a spinning screw-type cutter, but I don't know if such a thing still exists.

I only shave my neck, with a bit of trimming/shaping on the cheeks, and a foil-type shaver works great for this.
My attempts to shave my neck with more than one Norelco/Philips rotary shaver produced near-catastrophic results. :evil:

- Murray