Barber Shop Shave - Your Expectations?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Bill_K

Re: Barber Shop Shave - Your Expectations?

Post by Bill_K »

I went to two separate shops here in Central Alberta, each time expecting a brag-worthy hot shave: one was a locally-owned small-town barber shop and the other was a franchise with a name similar to the nickname for the Thompson sub-machine gun. <ahem>

In each case I left disappointed and thinking, "I can do way better than this." One pass, and that was it. On the plus side, the hot towel treatments felt great, and it sure was nice to be gently shaved by attractive women.
Bill
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Nice going Lathermaster. There are people in Memphis that use a shavette and even have the hot lather machine, but not so great of a shave. Mostly they shave the neck and some will do a face shave, but poorly

I miss the old true straight razor and lather on your face. One shop in Memphis used to cut Elvis' hair regularly. I went in, this was about 1985 or so, and for $25, I got a hair cut, nail trim, shoe shine and then a facial (rubbed oils and eucalyptus on my face with hot towels between) and then a true straight razor shave with that hot lather, then another oil/serum treatment with Clubman talc and aftershave. Took an hour, around 3:00 on a Friday and well, my weekend was off to a great start. Place is closed now
Lathermaster

Post by Lathermaster »

Back when a trip to the Barber shop was an event. Sad those days are gone.
Bobwhite

Re: Clay's barber shop in Tulsa.

Post by Bobwhite »

okie wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:15 pm I expect them to use a str8 and after looking all over oklahoma City to find a shop that did shaves he pulled out some multibalde hacker after the best round of hot towels, preshave oil and lather. What I thought was going to be the best shave of my life fell flat. Anyone know of a shr8 shave in Oklahoma?
Clay in Tulsa used to do a great job in Tulsa !0 years ago. His hands were getting very shaky though. His back was injured when his parachute didn't open while he was in the Army. It is likely that the ladies he hired to replace himself still do it. I don't need a barbershop shave, however, It is nice to experience one just for nostalgia sake. ...but instead of a woman, I want an experienced gruff looking, square jawed old man to do it. (Why do I feel like a sexist pig right now?)
Alexsmith

Post by Alexsmith »

Our family barber, who passed away decades ago, gave me my final typical American barbershop shave. Also, he showed me how to use an open razor. Got a couple fantastic ones while abroad, but now I like to shave wherever I am. <spam url removed>
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The post above simply is a copy of Squire's post on page one of this thread. Bye bye, spammer.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

drmoss_ca wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:14 am The post above simply is a copy of Squire's post on page one of this thread. Bye bye, spammer.
I am impressed you figured that out!!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Didn't you know I have an eidetic memory? :D
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Expectations? Respectfully, I'm not anticipating my barber to be shaving my whiskers. I covet and relish shaving myself, thank you very much!.🤗
However, upon reflection, I have many happy memories of Saturday visits to Joe Winters' barber shop on Main Street in the little town where I grew up. As a practice Joe always used a straight razor to trim his customers' sideburns and above the ears and the neck following the haircut.
I remember listening to the sound of him stropping the razor on the strop hanging at the side of the barber chair, then the striking of the brush against the sides of the shaving cup as Joe built a warm lather. It felt very comforting as the lather was carefully applied and as the barber deftly wielded the razor and then toweled off the residue and applied that fragrant aftershave. Great memories!😃👍
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

brothers wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:07 pm Expectations? Respectfully, I'm not anticipating my barber to be shaving my whiskers. I covet and relish shaving myself, thank you very much!.🤗
However, upon reflection, I have many happy memories of Saturday visits to Joe Winters' barber shop on Main Street in the little town where I grew up. As a practice Joe always used a straight razor to trim his customers' sideburns and above the ears and the neck following the haircut.
I remember listening to the sound of him stropping the razor on the strop hanging at the side of the barber chair, then the striking of the brush against the sides of the shaving cup as Joe built a warm lather. It felt very comforting as the lather was carefully applied and as the barber deftly wielded the razor and then toweled off the residue and applied that fragrant aftershave. Great memories!😃👍
Great story!

Chris