Barber Shop Shave - Your Expectations?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
The Groom Room

Post by The Groom Room »

bernards66 wrote:Troy, While it's true that in some locales there are downright prohibitions on using real straights and brushes for barbershop shaves, in many places that's not so. There are, of course, health regulations governing their use and generally barbers don't want to bother so they will tell you "it's illegal...". I've heard this in more than one place where I knew that it wasn't really true. But, no matter. Having been at this for some time in the US, my view is they can either do it right or I'm not interested. I've spent all the money that I intend to on LatherKing machines, disposible blade razors and the rest. I don't care anymore what their 'reasons' or excuses are, whether they're really valid, or anything else. If one won't provide what I want I'd prefer to skip the whole thing.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon; You are so right. Many barbers will get around the straight shave by mentioning that it's illegal. However, as far as cosmetology and barbering laws go for here in Iowa, cosmo's cannot use any type of open blade to shave skin... only barbers can (they both have different laws). If you are wanting a straight shave with an authentic cut throat, it's crucial to call around your area and find out who uses the genuine article. Now, once you find a barber who does so, not necessarily will it mean that you will get a relaxing, smooth, and irritation free shave. I so wish it were different, but fact is, barbers do not perform the straight shave enough to keep their skills honed. Also, if you happen to find a barber who actually uses a brush and lather, make darn sure that it is a new (un-used) brush (brushes cannot be sterilized once used, nor can cakes of shave soap) or ask if you can bring your own cup,brush, and soap and have them stored there for use only on you. Would you want a shave brush and soap swirled across your face after it has been used on mine face? Same thing with a cut throat razor... although it CAN be sterilized between each client. Numerous times, I've seen a barber use the same clippers, scissors, etc... on client after client, without first sanitizing them between customers (brushing off the hair clippings IS NOT sanitizing them). This makes me cringe in disgust, because I make certain that anything that touches the client is sanitized properly, at The Groom Room. If I can do it, then so can all the others.

See if you can get a copy of the current year's barbering laws/rules/regulations for your state, from the health dept. and find out for youself what is 'illegal' and what is safe and accepted (if you already do not know yourself), you may be surprised at the scrutiny of health regulations.

You mention that you've been at this for some time in the US; what exactly are you referring to? What have you 'been at' for some time in the US? Just curious here.
-Take Care
- Troy

"Look better, feel better... THINK BETTER."
The Groom Room
www.TheGroom-Room.com
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Troy, I've found it exceedingly difficult to find any US barbers these days that will use a real cutthroat razor ( granted, there are numerous states I have not explored fully....chuckle ). I did have one such superb shave in NYC maybe eight years ago or so. Of course, your point about widely varying levels of skill and the issue of whether the chap has done enough shaves recently to really be on the top of his game are valid...and often problematic.

I've also only hit on one shop so far that uses brushes and real proper shave cream to lather up their customers. It was in Celebration, Florida, of all places. The owner is an English chap. I brought my own brush, but only because my shave brushes are a hell of a lot higher end that what I knew they used ( and he was rather taken aback by my Plisson EW...he'd never seen a brush like that before ). But I used their house supply of Taylors cream. Why get hung up about it? Gents are shaved daily with the store brushes at Trumpers, T&H, Taylors, and hundreds of other shops in Britain and Europe.
Regards,
Gordon
paddy

Post by paddy »

any opinions on best barber shave in the UK?
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
brothers

Post by brothers »

stagger wrote:Gordon- Come to Ruidoso, NM and you can still get the full treatment including a great shave with a Henkels straight.
Now that's good to know. I've enjoyed my neighboring state of NM a few times, including one of the best steak/mexican dinners ever at a little spot in Albuquerque a few years back. Been in Ruidoso a few times. Next time, I'll try to have the presence of mind to remember to drop you a PM so you can tell me where to find this barbershop.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

I've had barber shaves in three different places, and one of them by a master barber in San Diego that was so close that my wife thought I looked like a teenager. I could easily have passed inspection the following day, as well.
The others were decent, but that shave took the cake. I am elated when I get even close to the shave that barber was able to give.

On that note, next time in San Diego there's a barber I want to visit. Turns out one of the guys in my old unit who used to watch me break out the strop and razor while we were on detachment....is out of the armed forces now, and is.....a barber. Who gives (apparently great) shaves. I can't help but wonder if showing the guy how the strop worked etc contributed to his choice of careers but who knows. If you're there ask for Daryl.
Next time I'm on the west coast I intend to drop in and say hi....and get a shave, of course.
They apparently get good reviews... http://www.yelp.com/biz/barber-side-san-diego-2, even for their shaves. If you're ever in San Diego look up barberside on Adams avenue. If you beat me to it let me know how it went.

John P.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

My expectation before I ever had a barbershop shave was to end up with the best shave I've ever had in my life, and learn some things. I've got a good couple of shaves, but nothing I couldn't replicate or better by myself.

My expectation now would be to get 30 minutes or so of pampering and laying back in a nice comfortable chair, and end up with a decent close shave with no irritation or nicks.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

My expectations at this point are low.

I had a barbershop shave in Boston last year that was so bad I had to go home and shave myself again. It was dry, the lather was very mediocre, the blade was dull, my face was uncomfortable and as far as I can see no beard hair was removed in the process.

I think the problem is, as others have stated, the rules have largely made it impossible to do the thing properly (i.e., cut throat razor, expertly honed and stropped, first class lather created and applied to a well-steamed face, using a great badger brush), those things just aren't happening.

I might try it again someplace else, but I'm not in a hurry to do so, based on my last experience!
Lathermaster

My 1st Barber Shave

Post by Lathermaster »

It was a winter day, on a Saturday afternoon. I was 18 and driving around with nothing to do. I drove past a barbershop and said to myself, “you know you never did get a barbershop shave.” Barber shop shaves were something I had lusted to have since I was 9-10. I had long hair at the time and was really self conscious of being ridiculed at a barbershop. Every place I drove by had a lot of people in it. I made a deal with my self, the first shop I saw with nobody in it was where I would get a shave. I saw a little shop on what seemed to be a deserted road. I parked, walked up to the door and saw a man reclined in the chair with a cigar sticking up in the air. As I walked in he seemed startled. I asked if he was busy (no one there) he said ”what would you like? A haircut?” I said “No, I’d like to get a shave.” He said “ok” and motioned me to the chair.
He put a neck strip around my neck and swung a beautiful white cape around me. (no stripes). He reclined the chair, and began to touch & examine my face. He placed a towel across my chest. He started running water, went to the lather machine and quickly but lightly applied the hot lather to my fast. It felt GREAT! Then wrapped my face in a hot steam towel and let it sit on my face for a minute or so. I couldn’t believe I was caped, reclined, lathered and relaxing with a hot towel on my face. The Barber removed the towel and applied Healox cream to my face in circular motions, cheeks, chin, on my neck then back to my chin, then dabbing under my nose. I heard the lather machine again whirrrring for a much longer time, I knew he would have a larger handful of it. He applied the lather, dabbing it, spreading it all over my face, then massaged my face with what I call a slathering motion very briskly but gentle moving across my whole neck and face as if he wasn’t worried about the lather getting on the beautiful white cape. I opened my eyes a little and noticed he had a cigar in his mouth as he lathered me. I thought that was odd, but it felt so good. He then wrapped my face in a very hot steam towel and held it on my face, I had to slow my breathing down. He let it sit a couple of minutes. He then started stropping his razor, I always loved that sound. I was worrying if the straight razor would hurt, he stopped stropping and I heard the lather machine again, he removed the towel from my face and re-lathered me. He picked up his razor and began shaving my cheeks with short feather light strokes, then down my neck, under my nose then my chin. He felt my face a bit, went to the lather machine this time the lather felt even hotter and creamier on my semi shaved face, I thought I died and went to heaven, I made a moaning sound as he applied it, I couldn’t help myself. This pass with the razor was slower and more precise. He felt my face again for rough spots, then I heard a short burst of sound from the lather machine, he re-lathered my chin and very slowly shaved across it.
I was wondering if he was done, I saw him putting his hand in a jar of pink cream, he applied the cream to my entire face, then put a dry towel over my face. I then heard a motor running, I knew it wasn’t the lather machine, I felt his vibrating hand caressing my face threw the towel as he did the face massage. My face was buzzing when he was done. Then he pinched my cheeks and razored the skin as he held it between his fingers. I asked if he could use a little more lather? He said “feels a little rough?” I said “yes.” He said “ok.” This time he applied a thin layer of lather, and removed the lather from my face with his thumb right before he reshaved the spot. He then wet his fingers at the sink and rubbed my face, making razor strokes if he felt any stubble left.
He wrapped my face two more times with steam towels, then a cold towel. He then slapped Witch Hazel on my face, he took the towel that was on my chest and flapped it over my face to dry the alcohol. He put talcum powder on a folded up towel and patted it on to my face, followed by a soft brush over my whole face. He popped the chair up quickly, I paid him $7.00 I gave him a $5.00 tip. He said thank you, and by the time I got my coat on he was back laying in the other barber chair smoking his cigar.

brothers

Post by brothers »

Thank you! Well done! I, for one, am glad you've found this forum, and have taken the time to share your vivid memory of a most unique experience.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

Excellent!!! Like a dream just reading about your experience.
笑う門に福来る。
StraightRazorRookie

Post by StraightRazorRookie »

Ditto excellent! Welcome, Master Lather!
Ed, the Straight Razor Rookie,
documenting the journey at:
http://straightrazorrookie.blogspot.com
Lou

Post by Lou »

Awesome experience, Lathermaster.

I know of two places nearby that give straight razor shaves. Unfortunately, it's a $35 affair in posh male-spa places with thick panelling and customer databases. In this atmosphere of probable disappointment, I won't drop that kind of money without a trustworthy recommendation. I recently spotted another place with two elderly, professional-looking barbers. I've been meaning to stop by, if only for a haircut. If they do shaves for a reasonable price, I'll try it.

ZethLent, I lived in Tokyo/Kanagawa for nine years. If Dunhill is the kind of upscale business typical of Ginza, I'd be surprised if you got a bad shave.
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

Yes, Lou, I doubt it would be as painful as my previous encounters. I am still working up the courage to give it a go.
笑う門に福来る。
Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

I found a barber in Tulsa who does a good job. I think the key is to go to somebody who does it regularly because he enjoys doing it.

The first time I visited that barber we talked about it, he spoke of the 14 parts of the face etc. he being an ex Army Ranger I could trust him to be extremely proficient at anything he does.

It did cost $30 but I felt so refreshed afterwards that I bought a DE razor and a ton of other products. Even joined this web sight.

Joe

Tulsa Oklahoma
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

After I joined this forum I got interested in finding a barber that does shaves. None to be had in my small 3 city community. I asked my regular barber who is well over 65 but keeps on barbering because he lost his pension, and he said he gave up shaving and using a straight years ago. He uses a contraption tthat has replacable blades in a straight configuration to shave the back of my neck. Other, younger, barbers don't even do that.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Lathermaster

Re: Barber Shop Shave - Your Expectations?

Post by Lathermaster »

Now that I'm retired and living in Florida I'm searching for barber that does shaves. Too many hip hop barbers for the youngsters down here. Need to find one that will take care of an old guy. :-0_/ LM
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Lathermaster, it's good to see you again.

Barbers who perform traditional shaves are rare and getting rarer all the time. Part of it may be the lack of customers, part of it may be that you can't use a brush on more than one customer, and part of it may be that barbers aren't trained anymore to wield a straight razor (?).

At my barber shop they use a straight razor with disposable blade to shave around the ears and down the neck, but they don't provide shaves.

- Murray
Lathermaster

Post by Lathermaster »

After I posted here, the thought of finding a barber got in my head. It was NYE day, and the urge for a barber shave was there. Fortunately I found a shop open. A very clean looking shop. 2 chairs one barber. I like the single barber shops. They are quiet, no distractions. I was the only one there.He trimmed my goatee, and proceeded with the hot lather shave. I was in a blissful state, it had been a long time for me. We spoke about shaving, types of lather machines. I confessed to him I love getting a shave, it is my guilty pleasure. He said he enjoyed giving them. I asked him his price, he said $15. I said really? I thought that was very low. I told him I come from a long line of barbers and hair dressers. As he came to the end I asked "If I paid extra would you mind lathering me up a few more times?" The shop was empty, he said "sure." This is where he "turned it up a level" if you know what I mean. He finished up, we exchanged names. I said I know a lot of barbers only do shaves part of the day. I said "I'll give you call before I come in the next time. Maybe you'll have 45 minutes to an hour to take care of me and I winked, He smiled.

Lathermaster

Post by Lathermaster »

I like hearing from other barber shave fans and barbers that like to do them. :-)_/
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's great to see you posting again lathermaster! Looking forward to more! :D
Gary