Question for you old farts and retirees?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Xring3

Re: Question for you old farts and retirees?

Post by Xring3 »

I’m 70...retired when I was 62. Shaving was just a requirement with a disposable to whack whiskers. Kept the whack as needed every few days till a few months ago. Then I gave away the Barbasol in a can and went to the soap, brush, DE razor and now take my time each day. Wife appreciates a cleaner look. The last job I had was probably the worst job I ever had in my life. Then I realized the key to a happy retirement is this. The last job you had has to be so bad that anything after that has got to be better. JMO
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I shave more now than when I worked, and then it was often just trimming my beard edge with electrics or disposables.
Now I have time to enjoy it, with DE and SE razors.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

Martin_TO wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:31 pm I am getting close to the old fart age. I asked my Italian Barber, Sam, about shaving and he said the only time you shouldn't shave is when you are "dead" otherwise you should shave.

For him it was a discipline that meant you still cared about the whole "routine" of living......sorry to be philosophical. This is a guy who was a barber for 64 years who came from Italy and never owned shoes until he was a teenager. I listen to him as my troubles seem pretty small. His favorite meal was a sandwich made with slices of raw horsemeat which he said gave him energy. Seriously, I''ve eaten duck tongues and bugs are not a problem eithger but that was way over the top.

The other thing he taught me was that with age WISDOM does not come. Listen to young people as their brain engines are still firing on all cylinders.

Therefore, Shave everyday even if it's just to kill time. :D
Martin, I've just now re-read your excellent post from a couple of years ago. Your Italian barber Sam is quite the philosopher and I agree with his viewpoints, all except the eating part of course. To each his own! =D>
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Lathermaster

Post by Lathermaster »

I'm 65. I have more time on my hands. Would love to go to a barber shop for a shave like I did 45 years ago. Sadly I don't trust young barbers also not into the hip hop barber shops in my area. A gentleman's shop would be nice.
838-02486080W.jpeg
838-02486080W.jpeg (67.75 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

We have a couple of traditional style barbeshops which use straight razors - not Shavettes which I have seen as being more common among the younger run "hipster-type" shops.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?