TSA question re shaving gear

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

TSA question re shaving gear

Post by brothers »

I'll be flying in a few days. Does TSA allow alcohol based aftershave/disposable razors/shaving cream (non-aerosol)/shampoo/body wash/talc/etc.? Checked baggage or carry-on? What do I expect. I haven't flown in several years.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: TSA question re shaving gear

Post by drmoss_ca »

I believe that if it is checked baggage it will be OK. As for alcohol-based aftershave, if it is expensive and rare I'd take only a small volume in some suitable sample-type container: if confiscated it won't be such a disaster.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

For the purpose of carry-on all liquids, creams and gels have to be carried in the prescribed re-sealable clear plastic bag and each must not exceed 100 ml/ 3 oz. Disposable razors and cartridges are permissible, but DE & SE blades and cut-throat razors aren’t. You should check the TSA website.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

And the size of the bag is prescribed as well. They usually have extra "bags" right before security -- at least all the airports in Canada and Europe where I have flown do that. I can't recall beyond the NYC airports which also offer the free bag before security service. :lol:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gene

Post by Gene »

Gary - you have a PM
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Murray -

With regard to carry-on items, my experience is that TSA agents sometimes do what their own website says -- and other times they don't. The travelling public has no power and no recourse to such capricious and inconsistent acts other than to complain (at a later time). Example: there was a time when their site said pocket knives were OK if blade is under 3" but they confiscated my 2" knife even when I pointed out what their website said. More on point, I have had tubes of cream that were over the limit when new but clearly under the limit when only half remained, and yet they have confiscated them. In the great cosmic scheme, neither is a big deal but a pain nonetheless.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

slackskin wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:26 pm Murray -

With regard to carry-on items, my experience is that TSA agents sometimes do what their own website says -- and other times they don't. The travelling public has no power and no recourse to such capricious and inconsistent acts other than to complain (at a later time). Example: there was a time when their site said pocket knives were OK if blade is under 3" but they confiscated my 2" knife even when I pointed out what their website said. More on point, I have had tubes of cream that were over the limit when new but clearly under the limit when only half remained, and yet they have confiscated them. In the great cosmic scheme, neither is a big deal but a pain nonetheless.
+1

And I have learned when travelling in Europe that you can almost guarrantee that majority of security agents at Heathrow, Manchester Ringway, Charles de Gaulle and Schiphol will be brutally precise and detailed.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the good advice. Keeping it simple was my objective. I packed some Noxzema/Kai disposables and brushless shaving cream in the checked bag. No problems.

Regarding the midwinter vacation, 18 degrees F at home on the day we left and 18 when we returned 10 days later. 74 to 82 every day outdoors
at the home of our middle child and family in Hawai'i. Our first time there. The best part of the trip was being with our grandchildren every day. The rest was wonderfully coincidental. Highly recommended!
Gary

blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I only travel with carry on to avoid delays problems and increase flexibility with standby, etc. Use sample size creams and tester size (2ML typically) colognes. Put my TTO in a leather case and place it in a bowl so that it can be inspected to check that there is no blade installed.
Rick
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Related thought … I travel for work a lot and have left many items in hotel rooms, particularly bathrooms, when mentally rehearsing final client meeting instead of concentrating on packing. After losing a wee scott brush 8 years ago I only travel with low cost stuff (not that the WS was expensive, but it's what triggered the new travel kit). Not junk though, I need a close shave and professional appearance when I'm on the road.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

I mail some blades ahead of time so they are waiting for me, or put one in checked luggage.

When I am packing I take a resealable sandwich bag and write "NO BLADES" on each side in giant letters, and then I put my DE razor (disassembled!) into the bag.

On travel day, the baggie goes into a relatively empty tub for the x-ray machine. I can always tell when they get to it -- among my eight or twelve other tubs -- because the belt pauses, and reverses, and pauses, and re-starts, and pauses, and finally resumes moving.

So far it has worked fine every time, and once a TSA agent even thanked me.
naturalpuerh

Post by naturalpuerh »

Very funny situation, You are afraid to be treated as terriorists!