gillette takes a hit

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

gillette takes a hit

Post by fallingwickets »

https://nypost.com/2019/07/30/nonshaver ... writedown/

no mention of wet shaving as an alternative (lazy reporters!!) or that due to high costs men shave more often before tossing the blade.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Re: gillette takes a hit

Post by EL Alamein »

It may be that the time is nigh when folks have had enough.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

These reports make me remember a year or so ago when Gillette ran a public service announcement that alluded to a shadowy insinuation that men are to blame for most of everything, and men should make some kind of mysterious changes in the world. Ending with a pledge of some sort that Gillette was going to change men so the world could change too. No wonder they're losing money over there. Does anyone else remember any of that?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I do indeed. A dreadful misandric mess. Virtue signalling instead of competing with the economy brands that are taking over their market. Not a sensible strategy from a business empire that exploits women ruthlessly with even more expensive pink versions of already expensive products.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

fallingwickets wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:32 am https://nypost.com/2019/07/30/nonshaver ... writedown/

no mention of wet shaving as an alternative (lazy reporters!!) or that due to high costs men shave more often before tossing the blade.

clive
When I was younger, working, and pressed for time, I'd shave in the shower with Atras, then cheap disposables.
I used to be able to get 10-11 shaves out of a plastic razor, then somewhere along the line I started noticing a difference
after 4 shaves. Seems like my beard got tougher and harder on the edge as I got older.

Now with good quality DE blades I have a rule: three shaves and out. Still a lot cheaper than plastic razors.
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Wow! Can't imagine what you get for the money you pay for those few Harry's or Dollar Store blades! For $16 I could probably get 50 Gillette Rubies, an excellent blade yielding about 10 shaves each for me!
John
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

fallingwickets wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:32 am no mention of wet shaving as an alternative

As far as I know, P&G (which owns Gillette) still owns Art of Shaving. Maybe the strategy is to make their idea of "acceptable" wet shaving so expensive that Gillette's cartridges are competitive in comparison. But I guess that stopped working.

I guess they hit the wall going much past a $2 cartridge price. They seem to have peaked at the Mach 3, which is still very popular.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

No sympathy here -- not so long as my supply of vintage Gillette razors are still serviceable.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Pauldog wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:27 pm I guess they hit the wall going much past a $2 cartridge price. They seem to have peaked at the Mach 3, which is still very popular.
I notice that Gillette 3 (not Mach 3) carts go for ~USD$1.60 each on Amazon. Costco proprietary brand 3-blade cart may be another option. I'm not a daily cart shaver but would use when travelling. Wonder how well the Costco product shaves? The pack of 14 carts plus handle costs $23 (handle included) but I don't want to buy 14 just to try it out. Also, Costco website now has a refill pack of blades for $1.11 each but no handle. Wonder if their blades fit other handles?
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

On the Costco website, the picture of the triple blade cartridges says "German blades." From that and from the appearance, I doubt that it's compatible with Mach 3. It didn't get particularly good reviews. Because of patent expiration, there are now a lot of Mach 3 compatible cartridges, though I haven't tried any. I would lean toward trying a Mach 3 compatible before trying the Costco.

The Gillette 3 is compatible with the Mach 3. (The Gillette 5 is compatible with the Fusion.) I don't know how the shave compares to a regular or Turbo Mach 3 cartridge.

Someone I know recommended the Daylogic brand compatible a while back. Since that's the Rite Aid store brand, it might actually be made by Personna, which sells its own brand of EasyFit compatibles.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The Gillette 5 is compatible with the Fusion
that's the razor i use to shave my head and fyi, nothing comes close to its utility

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
naturalpuerh

Post by naturalpuerh »

So the Gelliet 5 is a spare part of head using