Sewer Tile Scuttle

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
churchilllafemme

Sewer Tile Scuttle

Post by churchilllafemme »

An antique sewer tile shaving scuttle has been listed on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Sewer- ... SwtKRdWFYC

I had never heard of one of these before. An antiques web site speaks about sewer tile products:
"They were made during a short time from 1880 to roughly 1950 and usually only in Ohio, New York and Pennsylvania. However, examples have come to auction made in St. Louis, Mo., Red Wing, Mn., Monmouth, Ill. and Cannelton, In.

"Sewer tile ware was made from the same type of ceramics used to make sewer tiling for drain pipes. However, the basic materials could have been both redware and stonewareclays. Unlike the popular and pricey stoneware with its blue decorations, and equally expensive redware in a variety of forms, figures and decorations, sewer tile ceramics have been largely ignored by collectors until recently. Now, they are being included in both ceramic and folk art collections. They had their beginnings in the stoneware manufactories, primarily in the Northeast and Midwest.

"When the kilns closed in the late 19th centuries, many of the potters went to work for companies making sewer pipes for the cities and drainage tiles for agricultural purposes. Just as glass workers found creativity after hours, so did the ceramics potters. Using whatever clay and glazing materials were available they created one-of-a-kind utilitarian objects, from pitchers to chairs and figurines.

"The figures, often cast in molds, were influenced by English Staffordshire figures, popular in the late 19th century. Other times Victorian pressed glass designs were used. Other methods were used in addition to mold casting. They included hand-modeling or a combination of modeling and molding. A few were wheel thrown. Decorating techniques were influenced by whatever was popular at the time, such as applied decorations, embossing, incising and combing. Combing would be used, for example, to make a tree trunk more realistic, incising to detail a bird's feathers.

"Few types of glazes were used, mostly a plain salt glaze or shiny brown. Less common were metallic brown, yellow, greenish salt glaze, tan and tan metallic. Look on the bottom for names or initials of makers and dates. Some are also stamped with the marks of the tile factories where they were made."

A bit pricey, but for someone who likes antique items it might be of interest.
_______
John
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Sewer Tile Scuttle

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'd fire my entire marketing department if they did that to me!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

If I spotted this in a flea market or estate sale for $2 or thereabouts, I'd probably buy it. Typical response from an unsophisticated shopper. I see there are 0 bids at $110. Just takes one bid though, so good luck to the seller.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

That's a pretty cool item.
Certainly a lot more "blue collar" than mine. More interesting story too.
My great-grandfather's scuttle, with Williams soap, Stirling brush, and QShave adjustable razor
My great-grandfather's scuttle, with Williams soap, Stirling brush, and QShave adjustable razor
IMG_0221_scuttle-brush-QShave.JPG (743.81 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
naturalpuerh

Post by naturalpuerh »

So the twins cup is antique? from where?