Thank Goodness

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Thank Goodness

Post by fallingwickets »

I probably have some sort of personality disorder ( no comments please :D :D ) but im one of those that needs a backup of almost everything i buy. My shaving hobby is its perfect fuel. Prepping for todays shave, i changed the blade out but couldn't get the handle to screw down....the threads on the muhle head must be worn out. I'd be &@$@%*(%^ if i happened to be a regular guy that only buys stuff as needed :D Anyway, went to the shaving closest and inside waiting was a brand new muhle 89 ready to be put to work! of course i'll have to replace the spare i used even though i have several others...just in case of course one of the older ones is broken too :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
John Rose

Re: Thank Goodness

Post by John Rose »

fallingwickets wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:14 am... but couldn't get the handle to screw down....the threads on the muhle head must be worn out. ...
Did you confirm whether it was the head or the handle?
It would be worth just replacing the faulty part with something in stainless steel or plated brass.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Clive, you're not alone in having spares of critical gear. The only time I don't is when it's a very expensive piece of gear.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Clive, apparently it was a good thing that you were prepared when the situation demanded it!

I have a lot of things in duplicate, for this same reason, though not everything. My favorite razors are a single Rockwell and a single Mergress. If something were to happen to one, I would have the other until I replaced the one.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I am a strong believer in backups, specifically when I get fortunate enough to find that "one" in a million that meets or exceeds my expectations and perceptions.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

John Rose wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:50 am Did you confirm whether it was the head or the handle?
It would be worth just replacing the faulty part with something in stainless steel or plated brass.
unfortunately and absolutely thankfully, definitely the head. I have a 'custom' handle i use that is no longer made or even available for purchase. what a relief it was when the new head screwed down without any issue.

clive

what time does bullgoose open?? :D :D
naturalpuerh

Post by naturalpuerh »

In order to celebrate, we shall drink a bottle of beer!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good idea! It's not Beck's, but it'll do. Coincidentally, beer is one thing that also deserves backups.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
naturalpuerh

Post by naturalpuerh »

What other things shall we do?
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

brothers wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:53 am Good idea! It's not Beck's, but it'll do. Coincidentally, beer is one thing that also deserves backups.
Beer, and razor blades!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I might note that I bought three identical, very nice, but inexpensive, chromed brass handles, one of which I use with my chromed Rockwell razor head.

Where I really went all out was on expendables. It seemed that good soaps were constantly being reformulated and good razor blades discontinued. So I have a mega-cache of various favored old and new razor blades, as well as a substantial hoard of Valobra and Valobra-made AoS soap.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I have a mega-cache of various favored old and new razor blades, as well as a substantial hoard of
ditto :D :D The razors though are a bit different because outside of my little 'sickness' i never once thought a razor wouldnt last my lifetime

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I hear you, Clive. I'm hoping my lovely chromed Rockwell doesn't have the same weakness, though I believe it, too, is made of zamac/pot metal.

- Murray