Commitment to Buy

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
churchilllafemme

Commitment to Buy

Post by churchilllafemme »

If you send a PM saying you want to buy a listed item and are given payment instructions, then please PAY FOR IT. If you change your mind, write and say so. To say that you want to buy and then fail to pay for days, without any explanation, is rude and inconsiderate.
_______
John
brothers

Re: Commitment to Buy

Post by brothers »

I've also experienced this inconsiderate behavior. Only once, several years ago when more than one guy wanted to buy something. As a result, I made it easy on myself by adding a prominent note to my sales posts and very politely referenced in the preliminary PMs that are exchanged when someone wants to buy something I've listed on the shaving forums. An item is not considered sold until payment is received.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Perhaps we should state in the rules, or in individual sales that if payment is not received within x days, the item can be sold to another purchaser?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
churchilllafemme

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:06 pm Perhaps we should state in the rules, or in individual sales that if payment is not received within x days, the item can be sold to another purchaser?
I'm not sure another rule is necessary. If a buyer has committed and then a second buyer expresses a wish to purchase, then I write to the first one and give him a deadline (usually 24 hours) and let the second one know that I have done so and that I will keep him informed. In my current situation, there is just one potential buyer, who said 4 days ago that he would send money, then the next day said it would be another two days because he had to transfer funds - and since then no word at all, despite a couple prompting messages I sent him.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

No rule is necessary. If a buyer tells me he's lining up his funds and asks me to hold it, I always agree. It's the ones that disappear and don't respond to inquiries, then my PM will inform him I'm selling it to someone else because he refused to communicate. If there was a rule that would appear to force sellers to give everybody a few days to make up his mind he really wants to buy something, then I wouldn't be bound by that. Sellers always have the absolute right to choose their prospective buyers. I choose the ones that pay promptly unless there are reasonable circumstances.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well I certainly don't mind if a seller states something to that effect in a For Sale post. We did specifically disallow auctions in the For Sale section in order to avoid the messy complaints that arise from higher late bids snatching an item from someone who had come to an agreement to buy, so I'd only ask that if a potential buyer fails to pay, the item is sold at the same price to the next buyer. Stops what used to be called gazumping in the housing market.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
churchilllafemme

OK, now I have to eat a little humble pie. The buyer got back to me with payment and an explanation that he had surgery. My bad, I guess.
_______
John
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The point still stands, even if we may forgive your specific buyer.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace