My Purchase of the Decade

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

My Purchase of the Decade

Post by fallingwickets »

Of all the shaving related goods Ive bought over the past ten years, the Tulip 3 wins the prize for purchase of the decade

https://ibb.co/MBd1yLk

What's yours??? (one ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Re: My Purchase of the Decade

Post by brothers »

Clive, mine has to be the General V2 razor from Colonial.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Clive and Gary -

I haven't purchased that much within the last decade, outside of expendables (soap and blades), so I think I would have to say it's the Rockwell razor. The Mergress was also a great purchase and a very effective razor, on its lowest setting.

My big discovery in brushes, both badger and boar was in the Semogue brand, in late 2008 and early 2009. In fact, the brush I use almost exclusively is the Semogue 1305 boar, which I find unique among boar brushes. This brush was a gift from Zach, back in early 2009.

- Murray
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Mine was my purchase almost 2 years ago of a single lot of 19 Rooney Finest brushes. It cost me a small fortune, but I think the brushes were worth it. I am using all of them in my regular shaving rotation each month.
_______
John
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I'm still working on it. :)

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The Zowada tool steel straight razor would be it for me. It ticks all the boxes for how a straight should shave and sharpen, with the added thrill that Tim has said it will be the only one he ever makes.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

brothers wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:28 pm Clive, mine has to be the General V2 razor from Colonial.
I have to agree with this, although mine is the black aluminum model. I just love it!

Running low on Feather blades - am thinking about trying the Schick version to see how it fares. The Kai's were not so good for me.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Good thread. I guess most of my purchases and trying things out were back when this forum was starting and a few years afterward. Went through straight razors and settled on stuff, so really, just the soaps and creams - I am down to just creams now
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Bearing in mind that my decade started in 2016...

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE87,
for the combination of price, performance, and appearance.

Brush: Sterling 2-Band Synthetic
I was initially attracted by the black and white retro look, and the curvy hourglass handle shape. Never gonna drop it when I flick the excess water out.

Both of these were purchased in the past year.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Peeler

Post by Peeler »

Man, it's hard to top some of those. I've not had a good purchase in months, come to think of it. Time to order a couple of things.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Peeler, welcome to SMF!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

In the past 10 years I've bought hundreds of shaving related products, at an embarrassingly excessive cost.

Now that we are beginning a new decade, the plain and simple SOTD permanently itemized and imbedded below yields the best shaves I've ever known, or hoped to know.

Big announcement - I'm not buying any more shaving stuff. :shock: Selling, quite likely, but not buying. Simply using up the blades, aftershave splash, soaps, and creams I've got on hand is my only shaving objective in the Roaring '20s.

If I should live so long, when I run out of soap and cream the shaving hardware will be given to grandson, son, and sons in-law. In return, If my whiskers still grow, maybe one of the guys will get the old man a nice electric razor. :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

For resale, it was probably the rare Schick aluminum Type F injector razor. I've kept a Type D for now, but if I ever sell it, I may not get quite what I spent on it.

For use, there are a few contenders - Maggard slant head, Schick (Japanese) Proline injector blades, Personna 74 blades, Wilkinson English-made blades, Muhle open comb razor (milder version; I resold the original version of the head after trying it), Merkur Progress, Gillette Rocket, Gillette NEW, Gillette Guard single blade cartridge razor, Wilkinson Bonded razor.

I haven't used the Rockwell or the Dynamic Focus enough to judge them yet.

Maybe put the Rocket in first place. There's so much to like about it, and I even have the red plastic case. (I'm talking about the original version. I haven't tried the later flare-tip.)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Paul -

Are those English-made Wilks that you reference the pillar packs of the last English production (around 2001) that a bunch of us got through a group buy, years ago? If so, I still have three of those pillar packs of 100, myself. I moved on to other blades, so I never gave these much attention.

English Rocket: I have what I think is called a heavy duty Rocket (pre-flair tip) in its original blue plastic case. It is a very mild shaver.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

The heavy English Rocket is one of my favorites. Fit, finish, and performance are quite good.
Gary

Missoni

Post by Missoni »

A few purchases have stood the test of time, have not been sold, and continue to give joy - Muhle R89, indeed all three of Muhle's DE razor offerings hit the spot for me, but the R89 is so beautifully judged as a daily shaver. A Gillette's New SC and Weber PH were also terrific buys. An inexpensive Omega boar brush (Baby Pro), has remained my most used brush, it has proven almost indestructible and seems tailor made for Italian croaps.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Every time I have to replenish my MWF. Seriously. I haven't purchased any equipment in 10 years -- although I do need to replace my beloved Semogue 1305 that fell apart a year or so back. The knot just disintegrated over time and fell apart one day while I was prepping it with some MWF.

I am down to one NIB cake and about a month or so life in my magic porcelain dish (yes - it still levitates on command).

:D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:03 am Hi Paul -

Are those English-made Wilks that you reference the pillar packs of the last English production (around 2001) that a bunch of us got through a group buy, years ago? If so, I still have three of those pillar packs of 100, myself. I moved on to other blades, so I never gave these much attention.

- Murray

I didn't see this question until now. The English Wilkinsons I got are much older than that. They're not Light Brigades, but they're very good, very old, more than one kind of package. They must have been part of some lot or two I bought on eBay.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

10 Thumbs Up Clive!
Richard
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Richard, I was wondering just today what had become of rustyblade!

It's good to see you here. I hope you and your family are doing well.

- Murray