electric shaver

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
yak

electric shaver

Post by yak »

Hello, guys!
I'm a big fan of Braun shavers, I've had Braun series 3 shaver for 3 years and I'm very satisfied with it. Now I need to buy one more shaver to leave it in the second flat, so I think about Braun again. Of course, I could buy one more series 3, because I'm absolutely ok with it, but I'm sure that other Braun shavers are good too. Which model do you like more? Share with me
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: electric shaver

Post by drmoss_ca »

Man, did you end up on the wrong forum! This place is dedicated to wet shaving with proper razors. All we're going to do here is to try to convince you to use a straight razor or a double edged safety razor and some decent shaving soap with a brush.

Apart from that small matter - welcome!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yak, you won't get many responses since we share in the delight of a proper razor, and not a multi-bladed one. However, I was in Costco and saw a Phillips and I was wondering how these things shaved. I had one in high school. Started off with the safety/DE razor and then got I think a Norelco and some AftaShave to use to prop up the whiskers. When the Atra ( I think that was the first two-bladed razor) came out, I never used an electric shaver again. But yes, my mind started to wonder if the electrics have improved and are as close or pretty darn close to what the DE razor could do.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’ve used an electric razor just three times in my life: When I first started shaving my Dad thought I was too young (17 years) to use a DE or SE, so he gave me an electric for Christmas; 10 years ago when I was undergoing intensive chemo; and last Nov. and Dec. following liquid nitrogen treatment to my face to repair sun damage. That was enough of electrics for me and I’ve never felt so good as when I was able to get back to wet shaving. In contrast my brother-in-law, who is 78, has used an electric all his life and never has had any interest in or inclination to explore wet shaving, despite my protestations and cajoling. It’s similar to personal writing instruments: many people abhor the thought of writing with a fountain pen, preferring a biro/ballpoint instead; I, on the other hand, am a devoted fountain pen user and will avoid a biro/ballpoint/rollerball whenever I can. It just boils down to personal preference, and not what’s right or wrong, but I would urge you to explore the world of wet shaving if you haven’t already done so.
Bryan
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I was on my third Braun electric (because I liked them) when I needed to to buy a new foil.
It turned out that even though I had just bought it a year before, the foils were no longer available.
:x
That was it. No more Brauns for me, and no more electrics.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think my deal is all about shaving, not really a crusade for, or antipathy against, whatever specific kind of razor somebody else might be using to get the shave they like. Bring on the razors! I'm completely passive when it comes to other folks' choices. It's their money, their time, and their faces. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, yak!

I've used electrics, on and off, for a long time. Among them are two Brauns. I currently have a Series 7 that I bought at Costco and it is an outstanding tool. It shaves close (I have it on its closest setting) and it causes no irritation to my very sensitive skin. Mine doesn't have the automatic cleaning system in the charging stand, which I have never been sold on, anyway. (You can remove the head assembly and wash it, if you like. I just blow mine out.) Considering that you already have a Braun that works well for you, I'm sure you would like this one, too.

I haven't sought a new foil/cutter assembly for my current Braun, but I had no problem finding foils and cutters for my first Braun.

If you're happy with your Braun, you're getting good results from a foil-type shaver. Norelco/Philips are rotary-type shavers and they represent a very different shaving experience. My experience with Norelco/Philips has been very poor. The rotary heads didn't shave my neck well, at all, and I got skin caught and bloodied between the floating pods.

- Murray
yak

Post by yak »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:31 am Man, did you end up on the wrong forum! This place is dedicated to wet shaving with proper razors. All we're going to do here is to try to convince you to use a straight razor or a double edged safety razor and some decent shaving soap with a brush.

I got that this forum related to wet shaving after I've signed up #-o But I took a chance to ask this here, sorry for off-topic :roll:
CMur12 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:00 pm Welcome, yak!

I've used electrics, on and off, for a long time. Among them are two Brauns. I currently have a Series 7 that I bought at Costco and it is an outstanding tool. It shaves close (I have it on its closest setting) and it causes no irritation to my very sensitive skin. Mine doesn't have the automatic cleaning system in the charging stand, which I have never been sold on, anyway. (You can remove the head assembly and wash it, if you like. I just blow mine out.) Considering that you already have a Braun that works well for you, I'm sure you would like this one, too.

I haven't sought a new foil/cutter assembly for my current Braun, but I had no problem finding foils and cutters for my first Braun.

If you're happy with your Braun, you're getting good results from a foil-type shaver. Norelco/Philips are rotary-type shavers and they represent a very different shaving experience. My experience with Norelco/Philips has been very poor. The rotary heads didn't shave my neck well, at all, and I got skin caught and bloodied between the floating pods.

- Murray
I feel for your experience with Norelco and Philips, I have the same experience with Panasonic. Unpleasant feeling... As for a shaver, is there a big difference between series 7 and series 9? I was choosing out of this list, and I found two types of series 9 Braun, one of them intended for both wet and dry shaving. Is it a good option? I mean using electrical shaver for wet-shaving? I didn't know about that before. Braun series 7 described well, but if I'm not mistaken it's cheaper then 9-th one only for $20. It'll be easier to find foil for the newest model, what do you think?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yak, welcome to SMF. 😀
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

yak wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:42 am
drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:31 am Man, did you end up on the wrong forum! This place is dedicated to wet shaving with proper razors. All we're going to do here is to try to convince you to use a straight razor or a double edged safety razor and some decent shaving soap with a brush.

I got that this forum related to wet shaving after I've signed up #-o But I took a chance to ask this here, sorry for off-topic :roll:
CMur12 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:00 pm Welcome, yak!

- Murray
I feel for your experience with Norelco and Philips, I have the same experience with Panasonic. Unpleasant feeling... As for a shaver, is there a big difference between series 7 and series 9? I was choosing out of this list, and I found two types of series 9 Braun, one of them intended for both wet and dry shaving. Is it a good option? I mean using electrical shaver for wet-shaving? I didn't know about that before. Braun series 7 described well, but if I'm not mistaken it's cheaper then 9-th one only for $20. It'll be easier to find foil for the newest model, what do you think?
Yak, my only experience with a recent model Braun is with the Series 7. As I recall, there are different models within this series: Some include the cleaning/charging station (mine just charges with a cord) and some allow wetshaving. I have always suspected that the cleaning station was just a way to get a customer to pay more money on an ongoing basis (for cleaning solution) and I have no interest in wetshaving with an electric (Why bother?), so these are two features that have no appeal for me and I prefer having the simpler/less expensive model.

I have no personal experience with the Series 9. If it is newer, it might be worth the extra $20.00 for longer-term access to parts, as you suggested.

Good luck with your purchase!

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I've had good results with moderately priced Norelcos, except when I tried to groom the hairline on the back of my neck. That area would get very irritated. I use one a lot less often than a double edge or injector razor, though.

I think Norelco still has a 45-day trial period, so you can return it if you don't like it.

Quite a few years ago, Braun was bought by Gillette, which then was bought by Procter & Gamble.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Paul, do you know how long Gillette/Procter & Gamble has owned Braun?

(I must say that I'm not pleased with this bit of news, but I am impressed with the Series 7 Braun shaver that I bought a couple of years ago.)

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Haven't used an electric in 30 years. At that time it was a Remington (can't recall the model) and foils kept on splitting open after 3 or 4 months resulting in ripped skin ....... went back to wet shaving and once I found ShaveMyFace.com, I haven't looked back.

However, having said this - one of our monikers is ymmv so in that vein if it works for you then great.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

CMur12 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:12 pm Paul, do you know how long Gillette/Procter & Gamble has owned Braun?

- Murray

Gillette bought Braun in 1967. P & G bought Gillette in 2005.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Pauldog wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:38 pm
CMur12 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:12 pm Paul, do you know how long Gillette/Procter & Gamble has owned Braun?

- Murray

Gillette bought Braun in 1967. P & G bought Gillette in 2005.

Thanks for that, Paul.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ok, anyone use a foil or a rotary for the head? I am trying to get BBS there and well, I have seen ads for the Pitbull. Or they say the Aldis foil does a great job
Shavermeister

Post by Shavermeister »

That would be Andis. The Pitbull line is over-hyped, expensive garbage. I don't mind paying a high price, but the quality has to be there, and it just isn't with the Pitbull line. Many quality issues. For a smooth electric head shave, go with the Andis, the Wahl 5 Star, the BaBylissPRO FoilFX or the Braun Series 9 Pro +. There are many multi-headed rotaries on AliExpress/Amazon that do a decent job of shaving the head, but the shave isn't particularly comfortable.

Electric Razor Rap
https://www.electricrazorrap.com

Jim