FTC blocks sale of Harry's to Edgewell (parent company of Schick)

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Bill_K

FTC blocks sale of Harry's to Edgewell (parent company of Schick)

Post by Bill_K »

This is interesting: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... ompetition

The FTC's decision was unanimous (bipartisan), which is refreshing to see in these polarized times.
Bill
brothers

Re: FTC blocks sale of Harry's to Edgewell (parent company of Schick)

Post by brothers »

Looks like the two gents that started the company were getting ready to become filthy rich! Oh well, they'll be alright.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

You gotta wonder though. Was their intention to make more sales with the Harry's operation, or to "catch and kill"?
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Since Edgewell owns Schick, Wilkinson, and Personna, and sells things under all those brands, my guess is that they wanted even further diversification to grab more market share.

Gillette would be more likely to buy them to kill them, though maybe making use of Harry's German factory acquisition.

But if the FTC stopped Edgewell, Gillette would be an even less likely buyer.
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Maybe Harry's will have to stay as an independent operating company, rather than being started for the purpose of selling their company and making a ton of money. "What? We have to keep doing this?"
brothers

Post by brothers »

Maybe Harry's should buy Edgewell! Not spoken completely in jest, because it sounds like the entrepreneurs are much more dedicated to business than they are to shaving.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Harry's is a me-too company, hoping to follow the trajectory of Dollar Shave Club, which was bought by one of the giants. Maybe the FTC was asleep at the time, but it allowed a successful minor player to be bought by a giant. Now it says the next successful minor player cannot be bought by the other giant. Either the FTC just woke up, or they are biased towards the first giant.

If I were allowed to shave I'd refuse to buy any of that nonsense. Hone a blade older than my grandfather and shave well with it. That's a motto that would suit me. In the interim, I have a rather nice beard, and I hope to get rid of it if I can in six months or so. I'm banned from using sharp implements, and said ban will stay in place until I emerge from the BMT. It will feel rather nice to have that first shave with a well softened beard and some good soap...
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

first shave with a well softened beard and some good soap...
Have you picked which soap will get the honours??? :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum