Shaving schedule

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Shaving schedule

Post by fallingwickets »

With a lot of us at home now (fu corona!), are you finding your shave schedule changing, or are you gents keeping up the daily routine? I'm definitely getting morning creep...each morning is a little later and Ive turned off the alarms!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
churchilllafemme

Re: Shaving schedule

Post by churchilllafemme »

I am over 60 years old and essentially homebound now, with my wife doing the minimum necessary shopping, and I am considering shaving twice a day just to have something to do.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, it seems shaving is one of the few remaining positive 2020 experiences I look forward to, considering virtually everything else has basically become a non-stop source of dread, sadness, and disappointment. I have found that I look forward to my peaceful 15 minute early morning shave more than ever. John's mention of shaving twice a day is understandable.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I haven’t changed my routine at all.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Clive, John, Gary, and Bryan -

I have never shaved every day, as my skin has never tolerated it. (Sporting a beard, a little growth in the shadow thereof is only noticeable under close inspection.) So, I normally shave three times a week.

I retired six years ago and have maintained the same shaving rhythm as before, so I don't think I'll likely change now. It is possible, however, that greater isolation and reduced socializing could result in my letting it go longer. On the other hand, longer neck whiskers tear up my shirt collars, so that might encourage my sticking to the old schedule. We'll see.

- Murray
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I'm retired. I always sleep 'til noon, and shave in the evenings.
No change there.
The only change in daily routine are the places that we do not go to (such as The Black Duck Café) because they are closed for the duration. :cry:
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

John Rose wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:29 am I always sleep 'til noon,
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last time i slept until noon was when i was in my early twenty's!! I do however have no issues napping at noon LOL

clive
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

fallingwickets wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:50 am
John Rose wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:29 am I always sleep 'til noon,
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last time i slept until noon was when i was in my early twenty's!! I do however have no issues napping at noon LOL

clive
I also have no problems napping at noon. Oops it’s 1:15. I’m late
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I can’t stand sleeping in, up by 6.00 am every day unless I’m ill. Must be a hold-over from my many, many years at boarding school. But I do like a short afternoon nap, usually 3.00 pm - 3.30 pm.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Since we have migrated to sleep patterns:

I am a night owl, myself. I go to bed late and I get up late, and I can finally live in this pattern since I retired. I am finally adequately rested, whereas before, fatigue was the norm.

Throughout my work life, I was chronically under-rested. If I went to bed before I was sleepy, I wouldn't sleep well all night. Going to bed when I was sleepy, I had to get up before I had slept long enough. I became increasingly under-rested as the work week progressed. When I got to the weekend, I would just vegetate, trying to rest up. On Monday, I would start the pattern all over again. I was always sleepy in the afternoons, in particular, and I counted on caffeine to keep me functional. I also had major problems with becoming sleepy on the road.

I've read several articles that were essentially in agreement on this dynamic. It appears that approximately 50% of the population is somewhat adaptable to different sleep schedules. About 25% are "early birds" and 25% are "night owls." People from these latter two categories cannot successfully adapt from one category to the other.

This is another one of those cases that appears to be rooted in genetics. It is not a matter of character.

- Murray
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

For the last 17 years before retirement about 1/3 of my shifts were night shifts, from 8 pm to 8 am, rotating every six weeks. My default day was sleeping 'til noon, and I've not gotten out of the habit.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I must be the outlier here. At age 74, maybe I'e been brainwashed. If I don't shave every morning, I look scuzzy and feel as if I don't matter. Shaving, grooming, and dressing makes me feel good about myself. I don't mean getting "dressed up," just something upscale from PJs or sweats. I'm fine with jeans and a collared shirt. Polo shirt most days. No tee shirts.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

slackskin wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 pm I must be the outlier here. At age 74, maybe I'e been brainwashed. If I don't shave every morning, I look scuzzy and feel as if I don't matter. Shaving, grooming, and dressing makes me feel good about myself. I don't mean getting "dressed up," just something upscale from PJs or sweats. I'm fine with jeans and a collared shirt. Polo shirt most days. No tee shirts.
I’m 73 and I echo your thoughts completely. To me it’s a matter of having pride in myself and a positive frame of mind. Since I retired a dozen years ago I’ve not changed my routine and the way I present myself to the world.
Bryan
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Rufus wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:01 am
slackskin wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 pm I must be the outlier here. At age 74, maybe I'e been brainwashed. If I don't shave every morning, I look scuzzy and feel as if I don't matter. Shaving, grooming, and dressing makes me feel good about myself. I don't mean getting "dressed up," just something upscale from PJs or sweats. I'm fine with jeans and a collared shirt. Polo shirt most days. No tee shirts.
I’m 73 and I echo your thoughts completely. To me it’s a matter of having pride in myself and a positive frame of mind. Since I retired a dozen years ago I’ve not changed my routine and the way I present myself to the world.
Ditto. I'm on the cusp of retirement - Apr 30th, on my 62nd birthday - so I'll see if my routine changes once I'm off work. However, if holidays are any indication I'll be up before 07:00, have a full breakfast, then shower/shave to start my day.

I feel grubby if I don't shave.
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bill_K wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:00 am
Rufus wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:01 am
Ditto. I'm on the cusp of retirement - Apr 30th, on my 62nd birthday - so I'll see if my routine changes once I'm off work. However, if holidays are any indication I'll be up before 07:00, have a full breakfast, then shower/shave to start my day.

I feel grubby if I don't shave.
Well spoken, Gents! It so happens that as I approach 75 later this year, I've almost decided to abandon my lifelong habit of shaving every day in favor of shaving every 2 days.

Several reasons - I enjoy shaving with the single edge General safety razor as well as the straight razors (partly because being able to maintain and use a straight razor properly is a rare novelty); I love my straight razors and the associated boxes full of paraphernalia that is required to keep them shaving sharp (even though I have never loved the time and effort it takes to keep them sharp, and have said so, but they're my beautiful babies); I want to use my straight razors more often; As Bill says, I used to feel 'grubby' or 'scuzzy' if I didn't shave daily, but the fact is that if I'm grubby and/or scuzzy it's not due to shaving or the absence thereof, more probably because I am indeed grubby and scuzzy (what you see is what you get!); my skin is beginning to feel a bit irritated sometimes, especially following a straight razor shave; and finally - the two day whisker growth seems to be more satisfying during and after the shave no matter which type of razor is used, than the daily habit, even though I can't explain why.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, I relate to your take on "grubby and scuzzy."

Seven years after retirement, I still shave on the same schedule (three times a week) as when I worked. I have always had what we euphemistically call "sensitive skin," and it just gets thinner and more vulnerable to damage as I get older. Any time I drag a blade over it, it leaves irritation.

Like you, Gary, I have found that the quality of the shave is better after I have skipped a day.

Whiskers are a part of manhood, and it causes me no panic to see them grow and show, though I normally keep to an established rhythm of shaving.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

After a week or so of shaving every other day instead of every day, I love it! The 2 day growth yields better shaves. There are other benefits, such as the fact that I suddenly have enough soaps, creams, razor blades, and after-shave splash to last about 10 years or more. :shock:
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nd after-shave splash to last about 10 years of more
caused a serious bout of laughter. thanks

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

:D Clive, I'm lucky that I like my aftershave splash so well!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Lately, as an extra unforeseen benefit of the 48 hour shaving pattern, I've been rotating from a safety razor (General) to a straight razor every two days. This means my SE razor blades are lasting 4 times as long as they did when I used the same razor to shave every 24 hours. I'll probably go back to the General after a few more weeks of 50/50 with a straight razor. The two day beard tends to more clearly highlight the differences between the two types of razors and the differences in the shaves they provide. Let it be known that I love both.
Gary