Shopping my own shave den

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Shopping my own shave den

Post by Sam »

Nice read
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Tim i think it was your salter comments last year(?) that sent me on a purchasing rampage. Great soap, and strong competition for trumpers rose :) :) :)

also, thumbs up on your post... as sam says,,,,great read

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Thanks for the kind words, gents. Today was a great example of what shopping my own den has meant for me.

I used Bullgoose's Asylum Shaveworks European Barbershop cream, Lucky Tiger aftershave and face tonic, and a Shavemac 24/48 2-band silvertip in a faux briar handle. I have had all 3 items for well over a year, but hadn't used any of them much at all, picking up the aftershave again about 3 weeks ago and adding the brush back over the last week. The cream had its first run in a year today.

The Asylum cream is Creighton's-made, and it is fantastic. The scent bears echoes of Taylor Shaving Shop but is to me more refined. It actually may be my favorite shave cream scent ever. The lather is, of course, outstanding.

Lucky Tiger splash is skin-friendly, moisturizing, and has a bright, fleeting citrus EO scent. Absolutely grand as a change of pace from Thayer's witch hazel.

And badger. After seven years or so of synthetics with only occasional dips into boar and badger, this week has been really interesting. My lathers are great, slightly less easily made than with synths (which essentially lather on contact with product) but not over-aerated (which doesn't have to happen with synths but can). And the feel of badger is distinct from even the very best synthetics, which I do still really enjoy. I have not enjoyed lathering this much in some time.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

This reminds me Tim, I've been thinking about giving the synthetic a short rest so I can re-acquaint myself with the Manchurian Rooney.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Dev_Waterhouse

Post by Dev_Waterhouse »

Spammer removed.