Broke my Moss Scuttle

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Rufus

Broke my Moss Scuttle

Post by Rufus »

This morning I started my shave in a truly negative way: I broke my Classic Moss Scuttle. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) I’d had for nearly 13 years, being a 60th birthday gift from my son. I used the scuttle for every shave I’ve had, except when travelling, since I’ve had it. Needless to say, it’s a great loss practically and sentimentally, but I’ve now ordered an Anniversary Slate Moss Scuttle. I don’t like shaving without a scuttle so the new one will take care of the practicality side of my daily shaves, but not the sentimental side.
Bryan
churchilllafemme

Re: Broke my Moss Scuttle

Post by churchilllafemme »

Rufus wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:01 am This morning I started my shave in a truly negative way: I broke my Classic Moss Scuttle. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) I’d had for nearly 13 years, being a 60th birthday gift from my son. I used the scuttle for every shave I’ve had, except when travelling, since I’ve had it. Needless to say, it’s a great loss practically and sentimentally, but I’ve now ordered an Anniversary Slate Moss Scuttle. I don’t like shaving without a scuttle so the new one will take care of the practicality side of my daily shaves, but not the sentimental side.
That's very sad. I use an Anniversary Slate scuttle and love it. It was my very first scuttle, won in a raffle/giveaway. I have tried many others, but the Moss has remained my favorite. I think you'll bond with it quickly.
_______
John
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I feel a bit silly, but I wonder what, or whose Anniversary is involved? It doesn't seem to say on Sally's website.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Smallflower sells these for $95, and under Sarah Bonnyman Moss Scuttle, there is an explanation that mentions the 5th anniversary slate Moss scuttle. Other than that, I know nothing more. I believe it is in stock.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:15 pm I feel a bit silly, but I wonder what, or whose Anniversary is involved? It doesn't seem to say on Sally's website.
I wondered as well, but because I bought it for the slate colour I didn’t call Sara to find out. Perhaps it celebrates the launch of the first Moss scuttle, which you designed and commissioned. :mrgreen:
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There can only be one, and it looks like this:
Prototype_Scuttle.jpg
Prototype_Scuttle.jpg (103.58 KiB) Viewed 8769 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:26 pm There can only be one, and it looks like this:

Prototype_Scuttle.jpg
Thanks for posting. Shaving history right there. Seriously, It belongs in a wet shaving museum; are you thinking of starting one in Tatamagouche?
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

When i get home next week need to take mine off the pseudo DrP shelf and start using it again :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sara confirmed that my new scuttle was mailed yesterday. =D>
Bryan
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:26 pm There can only be one, and it looks like this:

Prototype_Scuttle.jpg
Wow. That is an excellent reproduction. Every detail is perfect.
:-|
:lol:

I've been considering getting one, and even with the loosening of travel restrictions within the "Atlantic Bubble", I doubt I'll be able to get over to Tata for a visit to her shop any time soon. That means an online order.

Here's the complication: Normally I float my stainless steel lather bowl in the sink of hot water, but my larger brushes either capsize it or else I have to balance the brush such that the knot doesn't make good contact with the warm part of the bowl. So, I'm thinking of turning to a modern scuttle, like a large Moss Scuttle, and parking it on the upper level of the sink.
One thing I'm worried about is, given the relatively small interior, how likely is it that long-handled brushes (or generally large brushes like the Omega Pro 49) are liable to fall overboard, as it were?

Here's one of my brushes, which might be too top-heavy:
Barbershop brush with APShaveCo Tuxedo knot
Barbershop brush with APShaveCo Tuxedo knot
IMG_0722.JPG (702.16 KiB) Viewed 8235 times
On the site is says "inner bowl 3.25″ w. x 1.75″ d. (large)", which sounds like the entire handle would be above the top of the scuttle even when leaning at an angle. I can't justify the extra $$$ for the Texan size (which she does not give dimensions for).
Is the handle size likely to be an issue, or am I missing something?
I suppose, as a last resort, I could buy or fabricate a wireframe brush rest, or a raised "handrail" for it to lean against.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I just placed a 5.75" custom Shavemac in a large scuttle and it did not fall out. That's with a resin handle which will be heavier than wood, and without the effect of lather which will make the knot heavier and resist being expanded if the brush tried to pull out. So you should be OK, and Sal has made for me an extra deep scuttle that was an experiment to see if a puck of soap could live in the bottom and still have everything work as usual. I gave it away recently, and I can't say if she'd be open to a special order. I think the ordinary large will work fine.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:55 am I just placed a 5.75" custom Shavemac in a large scuttle and it did not fall out.
Well, that's reassuring, especially with resin being denser than wood.
Thanks.
:-k
I'm thinking Cobalt, if I can't get a streaky purple.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well, you must do you, but I seem to use the small most of all, simply for the better fit between brush and lather and surrounding hot ceramic. Better heat transfer. I do have a large cobalt, and it is very pretty.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace