Looking for Advise

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
LookingGlass

Looking for Advise

Post by LookingGlass »

Good day. Here is the situation. I am 72 going on 73 years old. I have an extensive collection of SE/LE brushes as well as a nice collection of Gillette vintage razors. No one in my family has any interest in my shaving gear. My desire is to dispose of my gear to interested folks. I seek no profit. I simply want to dispose of the gear. Recommendations?
brothers

Re: Looking for Advise

Post by brothers »

I have had success listing my extra gear on the shaving forum. Just like anything else, it'll take a bit of planning and effort, taking photos and writing descriptions, etc. But pricing will be a challenge unless you are able to set your prices fairly, to both you and your buyers. I think most guys enjoy an opportunity to buy shaving stuff, when the asking price is reasonable.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

No one in my family has any interest in my shaving gear
isnt that reason enough to be banished from the inner circle??????????? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's a problem. I may not be around to enjoy my razors forever, and my son has a full beard. So as I go through my straights gradually honing all of them to make them more saleable, my wife asks 'Are you selling them?' I replied devilishly, 'No, you are!'

I never understood the collecting bug till I discovered straight razors. It turns out that part of the whole thing is what to do with a collection you love when you can love it no more.

To the OP: advertise them here and on other forums. Ask for a price you think fair. We don't do auctions here, but anything that doesn't sell here can be sold on eBay, which is more work.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I have the same problem. Selling off all of my vintage razors, my brushes, etc. piecemeal is more of a hassle than I'm willing to countenance. I would be willing to pass on most of my collection to a truly interested party.

It used to be that members of these fora shaved with a new Merkur or a vintage Gillette, Shick, GEM, Everready, etc. Now, with all of the new razors available at a whole range of prices, the demand for vintage razors has fallen drastically and they're hard to get rid of.

Indeed, this principle applies to most of my treasures, even in terms of finding an heir: old film cameras, fountain pens, railroad watches, pocket knives, and more.

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have half a dozen vintage DE razors all in excellent condition that I should sell. I find trying to price them a chore and after that there’s the high cost of postage and PP fees that make it more of a hassle.
Bryan