Second Pass

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Second Pass

Post by fallingwickets »

recently there was talk about facial hair changing as the geriatricism(lol) grows, but it seems that that idea isnt very valid, but for myself I feel as though one pass isnt cutting #-o it anymore and a second pass is necessary to get the same level of smoothness. I think the hair is getting tougher?Also, I have started to wear glasses while i shave so that i can see better :shock: :shock: Im not sure it has been one of my better ideas of late ( what the eyes dont see, the .......) because what fees good to the fingers doesnt necessarily look that great. Im talking mainly about the little section right under ones nose.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Re: Second Pass

Post by brothers »

Clive, I understand where you're coming from. For years I was literally unable to shave the upper lip area across or against the grain. My efforts to do that only resulted in some very uncomfortable grabbing and pulling, but never the smoothness I wanted. That was the case with all of my razors, and I had resigned myself long ago to the fact it just couldn't be done. Then along came the General and the General V2. Nowadays, if I am careful, I can easily go about 135 degrees up and across and almost but not quite a full 180 degree ATG straight up on my upper lip and also on the lower lip above the chin. Something about the General's geometry obviously. I don't make an official 2nd lather pass, but after the initial ATG pass I touch up and smooth with a splash of tap water.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Clive and Gary -

As you probably know by now, I only shave my neck and shape a bit at the cheeks. I have noticed that gray whiskers seem coarser than their brown predecessors, but soaking seems to resolve much of this. Now my beard is basically all gray, so I have gradually adapted to it.

I have never been able to get by with a single pass shave because I have whiskers growing in all directions across my neck. This is especially the case with a swirl under my left ear and back of the jaw, so it's multiple passes for me.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

gary, is a general made by colonial? On their website i dont see v2's or similar. thanks

Murray, even though it isnt 'true' i think that was has started happening to my facial hair....its growing in all different directions, especially on my neck. I used to be able to go one direction downwards and everything in the razors path would be cut, but now i have to run the razor across, up, diagonally etc just to get the same old level of smoothness

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, yes, Colonial razor makes the General. What I've been calling V2 is actually just the General, but different now with the most recent changes in design and engineering, and still called General. Confusing, no doubt. The former General is a thing of the past as far as Colonial is concerned.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Myself i cant get any decent shave with one pass. Second pass mostly xtg but still not clean on my upper lip etc. I use 3 passes.

I prefer rather long strokes as my beard is not very tough. It has not got any thicker (now 62), except more grey.
Jarmo