The Lockdown Razor Cut

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
drmoss_ca
Admin

The Lockdown Razor Cut

Post by drmoss_ca »

Anyone remember the razor cut in the 1960's? I've been locked down a bit longer than most of you, given my non-existent immune system. Since I still grow hair - thank goodness! - I have to cut it somehow. I daresay my lovely wife would try, just as she tries to cook. But the world is not yet ready for the results of either endeavour. So I have resorted to a razor comb, which is essentially the same as one I used in the 1970's, but now requires two DE blades. They last around 1.5 cuts, which is disappointing, but sacrificing two DE blades from the massive stash every month is not such a big matter: I would be using them up much faster if I was shaving with them.
There are two sides to a typical Amazon razor comb. Both of them cut more or less closely according to the angle of attack. They work far far better if the hair is damp, but not sodden. Wet your hair, dry it somewhat with a towel and go to work.
Use the long toothed side at first, then the shorter toothed side. You can get an excellent haircut, but you will need to trim the edges. I confess to owning a Philips electric shaver, used when undergoing chemo a few years ago. The hair trimmer on it will deal with the edges. If you work at it, you can get a decent Caesar cut. It has been two years since I visited the hairdresser who used to cut my hair (we have no barbers) and I should call her and explain my absence is not her fault. This, brace yourselves, is me after a self-inflicted cut (I hear 'cutting' is fashionable among the young and confused, but let is ignore all of that):

Scary, I know! But who among you shall join me in showing what became of your head hair during lockdown? Anyone? Or how have you dealt with the hair on your head? I don't want to hear about head shaving, which is a peculiar perversion to my mind (no matter how "velveteen" you claim repeatedly to be). How have you responded to the need for a haircut when you cannot go and get one?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Re: The Lockdown Razor Cut

Post by EL Alamein »

Looks like you did a pretty decent job as it looks very presentable. In fact it looks rather good even if it's just with a razor comb.

I still have my father's razor comb (I'm sure I've mentioned this here) from when I was a kid in the 1970's. Still has the same blade he used in it - a stainless DE from the time. I've probably used it once in all these years.

In the beginning of the whole lockdown I just went without a haircut. But we didn't have to go too long, maybe an extra two or three weeks? My barber only does haircuts by appointment and he started back rather early and has been doing them ever since. We take all the precautions and we're usually the only people in the shop when he's doing cuts. When I say "we" I mean myself and my two sons, 6 and 8 years old.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, it looks like you did a pretty good job. (From the title of this thread, I was expecting to see blood!)

I'm afraid that I'm a little past that. I haven't had a haircut since February (I still don't feel safe going into a barber shop.) and my hair is the longest it has been since 1972!

At this point, I figure I'll just let it grow until things get safer. Then I'll decide what to do with it. I might even leave it long.

- Murray
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

My wife uses an electric trimmer to give me buzz cuts about every 3-4 weeks and has done so for several years, so the lockdown has had no effect on my hair at all.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

My haircuts are by appointment only and she has the big clear shield covering her whole face. She cleans and disinfects between appointments.She requires customers to wear masks as necessary. There was a stretch of several months when all barber shops and salons were simply closed down. As a recently widowed woman she has been suffering to survive just as most other small businesses. I try to get a trim about once a month.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I was expecting to see blood!)
:D :D :D

me too

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Oh, I can supply blood. Seems that a combo of low platelets and the anti-platelet action - like aspirin - of ibrutinib, means that the slightest skin damage will bleed and bleed. Well, my blood has certainly gone bad, so I might as well be rid of it.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I have for years been cutting my hair with an electric clipper. When I was younger I used a something like 30 mm setting, but now as I'm balding on top and in general, just something like 18 mm.
I'm sure it needs though some trimming that I'm not able do. But I don't care.

In general Vitamin D gives us some protection against viruses, or K2 and raw broccoli against some cancers or blood circulation. In the end we all die, but I hope to keep hearing from ur posts for a long time ;)
Jarmo
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Nice job!. I got a razor cut in an Italian barbershop while stationed there in the 80s. The razor and comb were flying through my hair like a Japanese Teppanyaki knife and fork in the hands of a master chef. It was a great haircut but it cost too much for me at the time to be a regular.. I've been back to Italy quite a bit in the last few years. Unfortunately, I don't have enough hair to have the same Italian barber experience.

My wife has graciously agreed to keep my hair tidy while under house arrest.