Where is Everybody?!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
pausted

Where is Everybody?!

Post by pausted »

Our forum is dead. What’s going on?
Best regards,

Basil
CMur12

Re: Where is Everybody?!

Post by CMur12 »

I drop in frequently, but I don't stay because nothing is going on.

I really don't have much of anything new going on with my wetshaving, so I don't start any new topics.

I did contribute to the Kickstarter for Supply's two new injector razors, so I might have something to contribute after I have received them and used them. I haven't used injectors for awhile, so I would need to get used to them again. Then I would want to compare the new models to the Version 2 that they have been selling and are going to discontinue.

- Murray
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I haven't changed my shaving routine in about fifty-five years. Well, I did switch from Floris No. 89 to my vast new old stock of Trumper's sandalwood. Still using ancient Merkur razor and enormous Plisson HMW in plexi. Not much to say, I guess.

Buzz
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm afraid I have other things on my plate at the moment (health matters, trying to move house). Do, please, talk amongst yourselves!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I raised a similar thread on this matter “Is SMF Losing Its Vigour?” on 12 Nov. 2015. I still check in nearly every day, but I haven’t started any new threads recently because there is little new happening in my life; however, I’ll contribute to existing threads when I have something to say.
Bryan
Gene

Post by Gene »

We don't seem to have quite as many topics being raised concerning things like angle of the head for smooth shaving, or which scent is best, etc. I do remember when I first found SMF there seemed like a lot of people asking all kinds of questions. Mantic started his videos (always good), too.

EDIT - OK - I started a new thread.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

pausted wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:16 pm Our forum is dead.
Hope not --- :cry: :?:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

I reset my password and logged in today after many years.

Forum is not dead, but Williams Mug Shave Soap is. :(
brothers

Post by brothers »

Still "The world's most comprehensive ..." in my book and always will be!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

pausted wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:16 pm Our forum is dead. What’s going on?
Hiya,

I am only mostly dead.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice to see you gents out and about
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

L. Martino wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:38 am
pausted wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:16 pm Our forum is dead. What’s going on?
Hiya,

I am only mostly dead.
Then I won't go through your pockets looking for loose change.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
thegrayson

Post by thegrayson »

Probably apt that I respond here. I was never a big poster on this forum but my heyday on tech forums was probably more than 15 years ago. The breadth of knowledge here was always phenomenal but I think with the passage of time where we are in our lives and the changes in the media we use on the internet have led us to drift from these wonderful communities.
Merkur Futur/ Muhle R89, Wilkinson Blade, ToOBS P2233 Brush, & ToOBS Eton College Cream/ Proraso.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I log in once in a while. Not much happening in my life, after my wife passed away. I don't have that
motivation anymore. I've practically given up on on badgers, I use the timberwolf synthetic knot in a few handles I've put together. Razor I use the Rockwell 6s in blue along with Iridiums and Rubie blades. I also use the Razorock 84 game changer. Very efficient razors with almost no irritation. Creams I still prefer the English ones as well as the English balms and skin foods.
I think a lot of the innovations have come to a standstill. Sure there's new razors and brushes and whatnot but they're all a rehash of something old that works well. I've thrown out a lot of razors, brushes, and soaps. It wasn't worth the hassle of selling them, although I've kept a few of the good ones especially the vintage Gillettes.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Good to hear from you, Bruno, though I'm truly sorry to hear about your wife's passing.

I, too, really like the Rockwell razors. Those and the Mergress are the best DEs that I have found.

When we started at SMF, the choice for razors was either vintage (Gillette, Schick, GEM, etc) or new Merkur. Then there was the flurry of new developments that you referenced. Excellent new razors, brushes, blades, soaps and creams. Then it seems to have settled again, though notable new products do still appear occasionally.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm very sorry to hear about your wife, Bruno. You have my sincere condolences.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nice to see you out and about Bruno. sorry to read about your wife.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

i'm here from time to time, posting my adventure on finding every bit of vintage Trumper there is out there! ;)
Olle
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Thank you everyone. I appreciate you guys very much. to me you're like a second family.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Bruno. You have my sincere condolences for the loss of your wife. Best regards . . .
Gary