Where is Everybody?!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Re: Where is Everybody?!

Post by Nitrox »

Thank you Gary, I appreciate it very much.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Similar story with a number of forums I used to frequent. I heard that the rise of social media took away much of the traffic, which is confusing at first, as it really doesn't provide the same sort of content, but apparently now people just don't use websites outside of the major social media sites or apps, and it's hard to get people's attention away from there. Oh well, I'm sure it improves the signal to noise ratio anyway :)
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Bruno, I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I can't imagine what you've gone through and are going through.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

TRBeck wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:07 am Bruno, I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I can't imagine what you've gone through and are going through.
Thanks Tim. My life has changed drastically without her, we didn't expect it. Just me and the old dog here at home now.
Bruno

adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I'm back from a bit of a break, have been forced to deal with a lot other things in my life recently and haven't made any new purchases for awhile.
Olle
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

God Dag! Nice to see you, Ollie!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I drop in now and then. I've bought a 500ml bottle of Arlington and two tubes of Prorasso. I think that brings people up to date on my acquisition disorder.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:39 am God Dag! Nice to see you, Ollie!
Nice to see you too, my friend! My life has, unfortunately, been rather hectic recently, which most likely is the main reason behind my recent absence from this great board and subsequently probably also why I haven't made any new purchases for quite some time either -- No recently purchased shaving stuff for a while now, for example, and also no new cologne purchases neither.
I've probably also missed out on one or more potentially great deals on here and elsewhere too I reckon, although I suspect that probably the most important stuff I missed out on; are most likely all kinds of eBay listings... However, there's no point crying over spilled milk I guess and besides; my fragrance collection has already -- in my opinion anyway -- become rather presentable in its current state now anyway... Although Hammam Bouquet Extract continues to elude me... But I won't give up on looking for it though.... someday perhaps! :wink:
Olle
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sorry for my recent absence. We moved house, which was a nightmare. I hired two 20 cu.yd. dumpsters and managed to fill them, but was fought every step by those who refuse to throw anything away. The new house is unfinished, and crammed to the gills with boxes. It will take years to sort out. Two weeks of sleeplessness and worry have had their effect, and I now have right trigeminal ophth. branch shingles. Forehead and eye. The eye caused the worse pain I've ever experienced, and I've spent some days sitting in ophthalmologist and other offices getting it sorted. I'm not pretty with blisters all over the frontal scalp, forehead and around my swollen-shut eye. These will all turn to scabs in the end. Only shaves possible are electric. Bugger it.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

fought every step by those who refuse to throw anything away.
there should be a law banning this :D :D :D

hopefully you're on the mend and feeling better. I worry that if you continue as is we'll find you posting on electricrazorsdotcom instead of here at smf!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I also apologize that I do not frequent as much as I did back when we first started this forum and for a few years after. I also do not frequent basenotes as much. I have met Gordon once in person. We had a meal together in a deli in a mall.

I am sorry to have read of Bruno's loss, glad to see Mr. Beck back, and also hoping that the house and health situations for Chris resolve well for him.

As for me, well, 1-4-21 was hospitalized for Covid, some calcifications on my lungs remain. Got a Peloton bike and for 2022, my goal is to bike across America, east to west, which 4200 miles. Already have about 1150 under my belt. Average of 12 miles (45 minutes) a day on the bike. Had a routine eye exam on 3-25-22 and optometrist told me that my right eye, for reading, really deteriorated. Found cataracts and right eye is the worse one, so much so that I am having surgery 5-5-22 on that eye first. Only 62, which is young, but hey, may never need glasses, contracts or cheaters again.

Other than that, ready to travel some. Using my synthetic tuxedo knot brush that Vladman made for the most part. Using up a small batch soap from a place where my stepdaughter worked that developed it. Took the last bit of Trufitt lavendar cream and spread it over the top, it hardened and that was good. Got a half tub each of Trumpers rose and lime, and well, when they redid the Violet a few years back, it was never the same smell and I never returned. May order up some Taylors next time

Got a small rotation of colognes, and every now and then get a wild hair to find new one, only to get disappointed.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Wow, a lot has been going on here!

Chris, it sounds like you have, once again, been pulled through the wringer. Moving is an ordeal no matter how you cut it, but moving from a home you have lived in for a long time to a new home that is yet unfinished would be especially trying. Add to that the case of shingles you describe, which sounds truly awful, and your absence is easily justified. I just hope your shingles resolves soon and I hope that it doesn't take years to get settled into your new home.

Sam, sorry to hear you got a bad case of Covid. I hope that your lungs clear and that you move on with no permanent side effects. Your bicycle riding and goals are impressive. I wish you the best with them.

I'm 70 now and I, too, have cataracts. I will have the first one removed this coming Monday, 4/18/2022, with the second to follow in a month, if all goes according to plan. I'm really looking forward to having this done and I hope your cataract surgery goes well, too.

- Murray
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Thanks Sam. I also had covid last year and it was pretty rough. I guess the stress of grieving didn't help it either.
I'm also going to have cataract surgery. Like you Sam, my right eye is worse than my left. I'm just waiting for an appointment with the ophthalmologist which my optometrist is booking for me. She recommended the distance lens because she said there is a tradeoff with the all in one. I'll see what the ophthalmologist recommends. Old age is definitely not a piece of cake.
Bruno

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Murray how was the surgery? Which Lens did you receive?
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

pausted wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:16 pm Our forum is dead. What’s going on?
It is not just SMF, forums of all sorts are rapidly turning into to ghost towns, or disappearing altogether. They were great for learning and discussion, but also had a lot of churn and conflict. Just as forums displaced usenet, other social media platforms displaced forums.

https://www.engadget.com/2020-02-27-int ... g-off.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/SeriousConvers ... d_thats_a/

Not everyone is happy about it, but there is no point in trying to sweep back the ocean with a broom. As regards SMF, perhaps look at it as mission accomplished. This forum was instrumental in the earliest days of the wetshaving revival, and the Moss scuttle has become so ubiquitous that it is now referred to simply as a shaving scuttle. Many wetshavers likely do not know an earlier form of shaving scuttle even existed.

Nitrox / Bruno, my sincere condolences on the loss of your wife. That must be pretty rough. And to those feeling under the weather and healing, my best wishes for your recovery and improved health.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:46 am Sorry for my recent absence. We moved house, which was a nightmare.
I can sympathize. My two sons have both recently moved back in with us. It's almost as bad as moving ourselves.
I hired two 20 cu.yd. dumpsters and managed to fill them, but was fought every step by those who refuse to throw anything away.
Storage Units are your friend.

So, are you in Amherst now? That was the plan, wasn't it?
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Amherst it is, surrounded by clouds of mosquitoes, whenever it isn't raining. You must know the feeling with all the wetlands in Sackville.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ex the mosquitoes etc, your neighbourhood looks very nice
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Raze R. Blade wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:39 pm
pausted wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:16 pm Our forum is dead. What’s going on?
As regards SMF, perhaps look at it as mission accomplished. This forum was instrumental in the earliest days of the wetshaving revival, and the Moss scuttle has become so ubiquitous that it is now referred to simply as a shaving scuttle.

In my opinion --- Vous ditas la verité Monsieur!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

L. Martino wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:38 am I am only mostly dead.
Ah.
Which means you're slightly alive!

"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex