When do you shave?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Gene

When do you shave?

Post by Gene »

A comment in another thread I saw a week or so ago made me wonder. When do most people shave?

I guess there are three basic answers:

1) Before you shower.
2) After you shower.
3) In the shower.

When I started shaving in ernest in the early 1970's I always shaved before I showered. A combination of things, really, pretty sure that's how my dad did it, and I had longer hair back then and didn't want it to start drying before I could style it (ah - to be young like that again).

When I got back into wet shaving I shaved after my shower. That seems to be the basic philosophy here on the forum, and it served me quite well.

Then, a couple of ears ago I shaved in the shower one day. Time crunch or something. It seems to work fine - and I have been doing that pretty much full time.

Curious what others here in the group do.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: When do you shave?

Post by drmoss_ca »

Whenever I feel like it is probably the most accurate answer for me.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
pausted

Post by pausted »

After a shower works best for me. Beard is softer I guess.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

For me, it's a weekly routine. I take showers first thing in the morning on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Shaving routine only occurs on the other 4 days of the week. Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings, followed by shave #4 about 36 hours later on Sunday evening. Then, thirty-six hours later, come Tuesday morning, shaving begins again, and on, and on, and on. . .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

im on a similar path to Gary and Chris in that shaving is done on a schedule divorced from that of showering
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I loved shaving in the shower. Now, I mostly wear a goatee and go full beard at times. I shave about three times a week, in the morning right after a shower
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Back in The Olden Days, when I used disposables, it would be in the shower.

Now it's always immediately after the shower, every evening around 8-9 PM.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I shave before my shower every morning. The exception would only be a day where I would plan to do work around the house. I'll shave first thing in the morning, dress for the work I'm doing, complete that then shower.

Before I shave I always wash my beard with soap and water as it softens the whiskers. I have tried shaving after my shower but it's not as good for me. I think my whiskers dry out before I can get lather on them and thus would need to be rewetted anyway before lathering but even that doesn't seem as good. I create my lather first in a cup, wash my face and then apply the lather to my still wet face. This works best for me.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

About a year ago I shifted from shaving every day to 4 days a week, the days on which I don't normally take a shower. Just a few weeks ago I posted that very thing in response to the original question. Well, now it seems that I've once again changed my mind. Now I'm down to 3 shaves per week, following my shower. That means I'm only shaving after taking a shower. Not immediately afterward, but definitely after. No rush.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

In the shower with just soap. Then after I get out, I even my sideburns and clean up the rest.