Induction Stove

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Gene

Induction Stove

Post by Gene »

In the "What's for Supper" thread there were a couple of mentions about induction stoves. Clive asked about them, so I thought I would take a moment to discuss ours.

I first became aware of them when my brother in law purchased a small, single burner induction cooktop - than sits on your counter. I played around with it, and wife and I decided to upgrade our old stove. We bought a 2-over induction model a couple of years ago.

The first time you boil a pot of water with it you will realize that the laws of physics no longer apply in your kitchen. This thing can boil water FAST! Faster than gas, propane or traditional electric stoves. The write-ups tell you that you can achieve precise control cooking, and I guess this is true (never really tracked it tough).

You will also notice that the cooktop itself cools down very quickly when you turn off the element. This is quite handy - if something is getting too hot just turn the burner off and it will cool - almost to the touch - in moments.

The only real downside (as far as I can see) is - not every pan will work on one. Aluminum pans won't work at all. You need steel for the induction to work. I guess it's a magnetic thing. We were lucky - all our pots and pans worked fine.

Over all - we would rather have gas (not an option in our neighborhood), but this is the next best thing.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Re: Induction Stove

Post by brothers »

Gene, thanks for the information. There was an induction oven in a church kitchen where I was able to use it, several years ago. We'd use it when cooking dozens of chicken wings, just for example, and I recall keeping a close eye on it to avoid overcooking. We got the idea that these ovens would be of great advantage when the cook needs to prepare numerous items in a very limited time. Perfect for such an application. I presume glass, ceramic, or cast-iron cookware wouldn't work either? Not to mention baking.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Post by Gene »

Gary - cast iron worked, but glass or ceramic would not.

The ovens are just regular electric ovens - baking is pretty much the same as usual. Just the cooktop.

BTW - when you are using the cooktop - you can feel the handle of your pot vibrating from the element - it's pretty odd.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

OOOPS! :oops: Never mind. I was recalling a convection oven I used twenty years ago, not an electric induction stovetop. Please disregard!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have an induction stove. I don't know that it heats and boils water faster. When I make tea, seems like it takes a while for a gallon of water to come to boil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you make a gallon of tea at a time - even the stingy US gallon, I'd guess you have a serious tea addiction!

It's true that they are fast. Much faster than my 110v kettle, but probably not as fast as a 240v kettle for those in the UK. Plus you get to use fancy kettles:
IMG_0973.jpg
IMG_0973.jpg (597.6 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
As for control, you can easily set a pan to boil so gently it is like the Chinese "seven lazy goldfish" all the time. Perfect for not boiling over. And 'off' is instant. Rather like gas without wasting all the heat that goes around the pan, and without the noxious by-products of combustion filling your house.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

We make iced tea by the gallon. Lasts about 4 or 5 days.